Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 336402 times)

stevetdunn

• Steve - from Gloucester, UK (Newbie Gardener)
    • My Gardening Blog!
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #500 on: August 31, 2011, 06:08:05 »
Greetings all,

A newbie gardener from Gloucester UK here.  I've put my name down for an allotment plot via our local council and I think September/October is going to be when they come around!

Looking forward to chatting with some of you and sharing hints and tips!  ;D
Regards
Steve

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #501 on: August 31, 2011, 06:30:43 »
Welcome :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #502 on: August 31, 2011, 08:15:47 »
Welcome :D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #503 on: August 31, 2011, 23:28:30 »
Greetings all,

A newbie gardener from Gloucester UK here.  I've put my name down for an allotment plot via our local council and I think September/October is going to be when they come around!

Looking forward to chatting with some of you and sharing hints and tips!  ;D

October's not a bad time of year to take over a new plot. It gives you the opportunity to make out your Christmas list... think of all the useful presents Santa might deliver.  ;)

Welcome Stevetdunn  :)

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #504 on: September 02, 2011, 21:34:15 »
Hi Everyone!
I am a newbie, both to this forum and allotmenting  :)  I have searched around this forum for a few nights and the knowledge and advice is awesome!  
We got our allotment on June 17th 2011 after waiting for 3 years and it looked like this:

currently it looks like this:

Which I was very pleased with until yesterday! ...... apart from all the seedlings being eaten by something, i would say birds but there has been a four legged animal walking all over the beds, which i am sure is a fox (i have seen him spraying on all the plots when he thinks no one is around!)   .....  surely they don't eat veg?
The broad beans seem to have some sort or blight?  Lots of rusty spots and virtually dead plants :(
But the worst thing yesterday was discovering the tomato plants I was given, looked extremely manky, after googling it seemed they had blight, so i dug them up and binned them.  Realising I had planted them next to potatoes I went back today to check the potatoes and they looked like this:

Does anyone know if this is potato blight?  If so what should I do?  Should I also post this elsewhere on the forum as I would love some advice?  I am sure I will keep plodding on even if it is blight!  

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news when saying hello!!!!!
Big hugs and snogs!
Ruth xx
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 22:29:16 by Ruth Rocket »

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #505 on: September 02, 2011, 22:39:33 »
A big welcome Ruth - so sorry to see the dreaded blight on your potatoes after all the hard work you have put in in such a short time. For most of your veggie posts I guess 'Edible Plants' is the best place to get answers. You'll soon find your way round - and get to know the experts!

In the meantime - enjoy your allotment and don't be too dismayed when bugs and diseases hit you. It's all a part of the joy of gardening  ;D.

Tricia

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #506 on: September 02, 2011, 22:40:19 »
Welcome to the forum, Ruth. Well done for making such an impact on your allotment in a short Time! Sorry to hear you've had a sudde run of problems. I'm no expert but I'm afraid that does look like blight. I would post the pic in pests and diseases forum to be sure.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #507 on: September 03, 2011, 00:08:28 »
Welcome Ruth  :)

Chop off your potato tops and dispose of them (not on the compost heap), wait a week (2 if you can) then dig those potatoes  up and they should store well.  ;)

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #508 on: September 03, 2011, 00:10:42 »
Hello Tricia and Caroline,
Good to say hi!   Thanks for the comments and yes you have confirmed what I thought!  Very disappointing especially as I have different pots on other beds :(
I have to focus on the fact that I take a basket of veg home each night at the moment and I only planted the potatoes in June...... Maybe when I do things in proper sequence next year it will be better!
Thanks for your help :)

Are you both near to me? I am in Rochester, Kent. X

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #509 on: September 03, 2011, 00:23:08 »
Aden I will do that tomorrow :(.

What do you think of my potatoes on the next bed They
 are just coming up,brought from Suttons for planting early august but I think I have seen a couple of blighty leaves...... They are no way near making potatoes, what do I do with them?

Again sorry for being a pain.....

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #510 on: September 03, 2011, 01:25:25 »
Aden I will do that tomorrow :(.

What do you think of my potatoes on the next bed They
 are just coming up,brought from Suttons for planting early august but I think I have seen a couple of blighty leaves...... They are no way near making potatoes, what do I do with them?

Again sorry for being a pain.....

You're not a pain at all!! Ask away Ruth.. I do loads when I want to know something  ;)

If it were me I don't think I'd take too much of a risk with them. Blighted potato plants and tubers are a pain to dispose of and can literally rot in the ground.. a mucky mess!  :'(

Others might disagree but if they have signs of blight I'd chop off the tops and leave them for the skins to harden (10 days maybe) and then lift them. Better to have none/a very small crop than risk the mess and possible problems for next year.

I guess this should be a new topic under "Edible Plants" but I expect we'll get away with it for now  ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #511 on: September 03, 2011, 03:15:21 »
Welcome Steve, good luck with getting you plot, it is a great time to get it and still time to plant garlic !!

Ruth welcome, very impressive you have worked so very hard. Blight is an evil companion on most lotties , there are some steps you can take to help your toms next year, like not getting the foliage wet when watering, try not to splash soil up when you water too and giving them a roof if you can, sadly most of us get it.. starting from seed rather vthan garden centre transpants is a good idea too.

I hope you both enjoy your plots and dive right in and join us..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

pumkinlover

« Reply #512 on: September 03, 2011, 07:50:26 »
Welcome Ruth :D

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #513 on: September 04, 2011, 09:42:33 »
Hi Jeannine,
Thanks for you kind words and advice!  I didn't realise it would be such a battle against pests and disease! 
Thank goodness for the Internet and this forum, I would need a hundred books if it didn't exist!

Hi pumpkin lover :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #514 on: September 07, 2011, 14:57:11 »
Hi Stevetdunn and Ruth,  Welcome to A4A from me too  ;D

Wow what a transformation Ruth, good on you  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #515 on: September 08, 2011, 21:49:19 »
Ah thanks Jayb..... I have a human digging machine for a partner!   Also am feeling a little fed up with the pests.....  I think I tried to do too much at once, need to make a plan, all my carrots were full of little maggoty things which I am guessing is carrot fly, just pulled them up tonight:(.
On the positive side we just ate radish, chard, potato, turnip and lettuce from the plot :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #516 on: September 09, 2011, 07:46:36 »
I have a human digging machine for a partner!

Fantastic  ;D

I nearly gave up with carrots as the damage from carrot root flies was so awful. But growing them under a net tunnel has made a world of difference, super crop every time  ;D I use debris netting and found it excellent although I know some say the mesh is not small enough.

Sounds like you are getting lots of good results despite a few set backs. Each year seems to set its own challenges and just as you think you have it in hand, something else starts to go haywire!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #517 on: September 09, 2011, 15:56:09 »

Fantastic  ;D

I nearly gave up with carrots as the damage from carrot root flies was so awful. But growing them under a net tunnel has made a world of difference, super crop every time  ;D I use debris netting and found it excellent although I know some say the mesh is not small enough.

Sounds like you are getting lots of good results despite a few set backs. Each year seems to set its own challenges and just as you think you have it in hand, something else starts to go haywire!

I once had a friend who frequently said, "Life is not a bowl of cherries!"
How true.  ;)

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #518 on: September 09, 2011, 17:21:01 »
welcome Ruth& Stevetdunn .

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #519 on: September 09, 2011, 21:40:14 »

Fantastic  ;D

Cool, I am going to try that next batch of carrots, thanks!   This time 3months ago I had no idea that Flea beetles, Carrot root fly, blight, broad bean blight(?) etc even existed!  They must all be waiting at the edge of the site waiting for newbies, lol! Xxxx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal