Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 336357 times)

Number Six

• Half Acre
  • Lincolnshire
    • Number Six
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #480 on: July 26, 2011, 10:31:57 »
Many thanks for the warm welcome and I'm really looking forward to joining in with the discussions, although at my stage it will be mainly questions! And we did start from scratch with the 'new land' - sounds grander than it is:) - and it still has a long way to go.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #481 on: July 26, 2011, 10:53:14 »
Ahh..at least you don't have other peoples mess to clear off first..I hope..
Well after being farmers land..no doubt the soil needs a lot of TLC now..
Do let us know how you get on. That sort of 'adventures' are always interesting to hear.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #482 on: July 26, 2011, 14:52:35 »
Hi and welcome, Mike, Ophi and Number 6  ;D Glad you joined and look forwad to seeing your posts on the forum.

Well after being farmers land..no doubt the soil needs a lot of TLC now..

I don't think that is necessarily so  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #483 on: July 29, 2011, 14:52:29 »
hello, i'm a kinda newbie...........

i had an allotment for a few years and was a regular visitor to the site, (gardeners are such friendly people) and  i learned a lot. i had to give it up due to family commitments but really really missed having dirty fingernails!

luckily i've managed to move into a moneypit....WITH A GARDEN.  WOOPEE!!! it'll be a while before i can get right into it and start a wee veggie plot as we're busy doing the house, but i'm sooo excited, unearthing plants being strangled by weeds. i've cleared a wee A&E corner to save things before they got buried under scaffolding  ;D......and i'm probably cultivating weeds   ::)  but hay ho, i'm here to learn. i know next to nothing about flowers and probably forget most of what i learned about fruit/veggies but i'll re-learn as i go.

it's been about four years since i was last on here, does anyone remember me?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #484 on: July 30, 2011, 21:24:09 »
Hi weedbusta, I think a little before my time but nice to meet you  ;D
I like the idea of an a&e corner, good luck with your plant rescue.

sticks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #485 on: August 04, 2011, 13:42:33 »
Hello all...newbie allotment plot holder here.

After enjoying growing a few veggies in the limited space of my small garden, and fond memories of helping my grandad on his allotment, I finally got a plot last year. Full of weeds and too late to really plant much last year, I just weeded and dug over the whole plot keeping just the strawberries. This year I've thrown myself into veggie growing and really enjoying having a go and learning lots along the way.

I've got to the point now where I have far too many questions about what I should be doing and stumbled across this great site, which seems to have a wealth of knowledge, and looks like a great place to pick up some good tips and advice ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #486 on: August 04, 2011, 13:49:38 »
Hello sticks..and hopefully you've had some 'luck' with your first year in lottie with veg.
And welcome...don't hesitate dropping some of those 'too many questions' and we'll see if we can come up with some answers.
If however you do feel like not wanting to bother..try the search..I'm sure there is posts that will cover some your questions..quite accumulation of stuff to 'wade' through.. :-X ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #487 on: August 04, 2011, 14:35:59 »
Welcome to A4A Sticks. 

I  am sure you will get some answers to all those questions here.  Lots of very helpful people on board. 

And there is also the Wiki section some good advice there too.

Searching for things is great but someimes  If think it is nice to get the personal touch and a bit of encourgagement as well

sticks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #488 on: August 04, 2011, 15:36:40 »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I have had some great 'luck'/success this year with a few crops... broad beans, runner beans, courgettes, 100's of strawberries!, potatoes - pumpkins, leeks & purple sprouting broccoli are all looking good too :). There have been a couple of crops that I have struggled with though... french beans & sweet corn have both been pretty poor :(

I have put a few pictures up in my gallery and, although it's far from a great plot, I'm very pleased with my achievements so far this year.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #489 on: August 04, 2011, 16:26:55 »
Hi Sticks and welcome.

First time growers often have trouble with sweetcorn.. maybe I can help.What type did you plant, when did you plant it, and how did you start it off.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

sticks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #490 on: August 04, 2011, 16:51:02 »
Hi Jeannine

The seeds were Incredible F1 (from wilko's), they were started off in peat pots in April and kept in my conservatory. During May I put them outside during the day to harden off and by the end of May they were outside permenantly. I soaked the peat pots overnight before planting them out in a block of 3 x 7 plants (about 30cm apart in each direction). The plants have grown to around 45cm high but have brownish shredded leaves on them and look like they will keel over anytime soon.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #491 on: August 04, 2011, 18:16:15 »
mm, they were started  too early.

Best thing for corn is direct planting but that is not possible in the UK so you have to con the plants into thinking they are going straight in the ground, so starting too soon is working against the plant. Corn will grow in a pot a maximum of three weeks then it will stop, the secret is to sow at the right time so they transplant out  at the correct time for your local  UK weather, you cannot get a jump on the weather by holding them in their pots as you can with other veggies, if you try they will sulk , they do eventually start too grow but often make late or weak plants.

I would sow a month later in three inch pots, and  if you use peat pots when you plant out don't leave the peat cases on..

Try to sow in a block that is minimum 4 plants either way rather than 3x7, 4 x5 would have been better.

It is a heavy feeder so add seasoned manure  and work the soil well that they are going in to.

They also have quite shallow roots so you have to be careful weeding, keep weeds down till they are about knee high then leave them alone.

Don't give up in corn, there is alot of info on here abouit it.. do a search, I have several postings regarding it which I have been growing for many many years, both here and in the UK. It is very easy ti grow if you give it what it wants.

Good luck for next year and please get back to me or the forum if you need any more help.

If there are any unpollinated cobs on the plants you can use them for baby corn

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #492 on: August 04, 2011, 20:16:19 »
Its been difficult year to grow corn. Last year mine were beautiful and lush and they yielded so well..this year.. ::) I'll be lucky to get a cob. Its been soooo dry and hand watering just don't do it. Summer started end of March and after that the rainy days have been few and far apart.
On our lottie site..everybodys corn looks stunted and yellowish they don't look happy at all.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #493 on: August 06, 2011, 17:32:14 »
Hi everyone... great forum.. I am in Macclesfield just south of Manchester. Used to live in Zimbabwe where my veg "patch" was 2 acres!! lots of veg was grown and given to all sorts of charity kids homes etc... and friends and family...

I now have had to resort to growing veg on my flat roof in long tubs made from 14" pipes slit in half... I als now have 2 garden share veg patches and am getting another soon... may ditch the first 2 as 1 is full of mares tail weeds and the other is very shaded... the new patch is much larger 150 sqmt and needs lots of prep as it's full of nettles..

Mainly grow onions, beetroot, beans and all different sorts of squashes/courgettes. Also our very special Gem squash (from Zim).   

I have started to do spuds for the first time ever and had some good diggings so far from my 2 small garden shares.

Anyway thats about it about me... good to find the forum and look forward to giving and receiving advice...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #494 on: August 06, 2011, 17:42:38 »
Hiya, everyone who's joined ,nice to meet you all.  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #495 on: August 06, 2011, 17:45:03 »
Welcome , I think you will enjoy the forum. I also grow Gem ( Rolet) squash from your part of the world, several of us do , it is a good one.

Enjoy XX Jeannine

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #496 on: August 21, 2011, 10:45:03 »
Thanks for letting me join you.  :)  I’ve just joined up because this forum is irresistible!

I’ve had an allotment for a few years but hope soon to have a new and bigger back garden so will be starting off from scratch in a new patch. I’d like to learn more and maybe contribute in some small quiet way from down here south of the Sussex Downs.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #497 on: August 21, 2011, 10:46:37 »
Welcome to all new members ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #498 on: August 21, 2011, 11:23:19 »
Hi and welcome to sticks, gavinconway and Aden Roller. Hope you are all finding your way around the forum  ;D (took me a while before I ventured into some of the sections!)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #499 on: August 21, 2011, 15:37:42 »
hello, i'm a kinda newbie...........

i had an allotment for a few years and was a regular visitor to the site, (gardeners are such friendly people) and  i learned a lot. i had to give it up due to family commitments but really really missed having dirty fingernails!

luckily i've managed to move into a moneypit....WITH A GARDEN.  WOOPEE!!! it'll be a while before i can get right into it and start a wee veggie plot as we're busy doing the house, but i'm sooo excited, unearthing plants being strangled by weeds. i've cleared a wee A&E corner to save things before they got buried under scaffolding  ;D......and i'm probably cultivating weeds   ::)  but hay ho, i'm here to learn. i know next to nothing about flowers and probably forget most of what i learned about fruit/veggies but i'll re-learn as i go.

it's been about four years since i was last on here, does anyone remember me?

Hi again Weedbusta! nice to have you back. I'm just down the road in the festival (groan) city!! ;)

Good luck with doing up the house. \hope you'll be about a bit once you get on to your garden.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal