Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 336399 times)

byron edge

• Plot 130a
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #340 on: January 05, 2011, 22:09:13 »
It would be rude not to say hello as the thread is here, so hello.  ;)

I've just taken over a small plot covering about 190 sq yards (give or take) and it is mostly given over to a magnificent crop of couch grass which appears to have been maturing over two thirds of the plot for a couple of years.

One small area is clearable and I'd made a start just before the snow came and now everything is very wet slowing progress further.

I've no idea if I'll get it fully cleared this year or if it'll be a work in progress for a while but I hope to get something growing in at least a third of the plot by the summer.

I'm currently thinking about how to clear the heavy top growth from the plot (before I start digging) having failed in a truly epic style with shears. The problem is there are at least a couple of years growth in the grass so it's formed thick tussocks that are next to bullet proof. I'm tempted to see about hiring a scythe-mower or possibly a flail mower from HSS before lying down the black plastic until the autumn. I'd like to avoid weedkiller but if all else fails it's the final option I guess.

A little about me - Yorkshire born and bred but currently relocating from the West Riding of Yorkshire to deepest, darkest Buckinghamshire as Mrs Edge found a different job so it was time to move again. This is something that happens fairly often as prior to Yorkshire we were in Essex. This will be our second plot but work got in the way of the first and we never really cracked it.

Gardening experience is limited to been able to identify grass, trees (not individual species just trees) and knowing that the sharp whirly bit of the mower should face down.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 22:22:01 by byron edge »

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #341 on: January 05, 2011, 22:25:21 »
Sounds like you have already been busy busy ripley. I agree taking on a new space can be daunting. I'm perhaps not the best person to give advice on talking on a lottie (as I don't have one), but if you have got any questions or looking for more advice I'd try another question in the 'basics section' lots of helpful people over there  :)

Hello byron edge, nice to meet you too ;D Wow got your hands full!  :) Hope you stay put so you can get your lottie in shape  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #342 on: January 05, 2011, 22:41:07 »
Pleased to meet you all... even the Yorkshire people...  :-X

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #343 on: January 05, 2011, 22:49:41 »
ooh Saddad and I've always liked you
welcome byron edge another Yorkie yippee!
I'd go with covering and remember.....
You can't eat an elephant in one sitting,little bites  :)
sanity is overated

seeorganicgardeners

• Not So New ...
« Reply #344 on: January 07, 2011, 15:14:52 »
Good afternoon!

I can't remember if I've introduced myself properly but I live in Hockley (SE Essex) and am Secretary of a group called SE Essex Organic Gardeners, or SEEOG for short.  For any folks reading this in SE Essex, our next meeting is on Monday 17 January at 8pm at Growing Together in Southend-on-Sea and I'm more than happy to supply further details on request!

Happy New Year to everyone!
Carole

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #345 on: January 07, 2011, 15:16:59 »
ooh Saddad and I've always liked you
welcome byron edge another Yorkie yippee!
I'd go with covering and remember.....
You can't eat an elephant in one sitting,little bites  :)
I can't help it MacMac... I'm from Lancashire originally although married to a Yorkshire lass for almost 25 years now...  :-*

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #346 on: January 08, 2011, 12:06:15 »
welcome to all the noobs on a4a, it's a great site, with some great folk on the boards, plenty of advice (some of it is good advice as well!)

happy gardening ;)
You couldn't make it up!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #347 on: January 08, 2011, 20:00:49 »
Welcome to A4A, Byron.  In before the gates closed!!  :D

keo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #348 on: January 10, 2011, 19:52:24 »
Hello.

Just a quick note to say Hi.   I'm new to this board.  :) and have been browsing the interesting discussions over the past few days.

I've been interested in fruit and vegetable gardening for the past 8 years -- mostly working on fruit trees.  In my garden I have 3 apple trees (one with 3 varieties) a pear, peach, plum and cherry tree.  I also have minarets and other fruit bushes i.e. gooseberries, blueberries and currants.

I grow vegetables at the local allotments in Spring fields.  In the past I tended to purchase vegetable plants.  I haven't grown anything from seed yet; so this year I brought myself a propagator.

This year I would like to grow the Dorset Naga and some Bangladeshi Khudo.  I've heard they are quite tricky to grow so would welcome any help and advice!

Look forward to the discussions... and happy gardening... :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #349 on: January 10, 2011, 20:16:59 »
Hello Keo,
I think you know more than me as I have never heard of Dorset Naga or Bangladeshi Khudo! :-[

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #350 on: January 11, 2011, 10:06:02 »
Hello Keo, welcome to A4A  :D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2011, 13:06:42 »
Welcome Byron.  Don't worry about the couch grass.  If you dig it out carefully in spring, it will not come back bad enough to harm your crops.  At least the roots are quite strong and you can pull any that still spring up without breaking them.   After persisting for a second and possibly third season and digging it all out and going over your soil carefully looking for missed white roots, you should be rid of it.  Marestail and convulvulus are much worse to get rid off.  Put couch roots aside to dry completely and not in the compost heap or they will just happily carry on growing.    The big tussocks are not couch grass - well here they aren't.  They are a pain because they are so heavy, but at least they can be dug out and put in the compost bin whole.   

Welcome ripley and carol too.  Keo - too hot for me  ;D - there is a lot of pepper interest in this group.  Welcome all new members.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2011, 15:07:04 »
Hello
Lurked for a while before joining but couldn't resist in the end as seems like a really civilised set up with people genuinely interested in allotments and other earthy things.
I've just moved from a small shady plot to a lovely 9 rod sunny one with great soil (and weeds) and can't wait to get stuck in properly instead of being driven home by frozen fingers and toes.
Agree with someone who suggested putting location on profile (some problems are quite local) - finally figured out you just add in text under photo section.
Alex133

pumkinlover

« Reply #353 on: January 27, 2011, 15:29:54 »
Hello Alex
from Pumpkinlover

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #354 on: January 27, 2011, 16:05:31 »
Welcome Alex - and all other newbies.

Tricia

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #355 on: January 29, 2011, 12:11:04 »
Hello to Keo and Alex133.
Some hot chillies you have there Keo  :o, I prefer mine a little cooler  ;D
Love your Avatar Alex, is she one of yours?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

KingofDerby

• Not So New ...
« Reply #356 on: February 05, 2011, 13:12:03 »
Heyup...

New to this whole allotment malarkey...always been interested in the idea of growing food, doing along with other self-sufficientish stuff...

not grown much before apart from potatoes and onions that had sprouted in house-mate's cupboards...moving house every year means there's no will to grow anything. Had not gone for an allotment, because I thought they had 80 year long waiting lists.

Then my best mate/worst enemy decided we should get one, so I look, found one and have now mostly cleared the junk! Just hope I can fork it all over in time to get things planted.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #357 on: February 05, 2011, 13:14:17 »
Hi, Kingofderby and welcome to A4A! if you are in Derby, there are a few members here in your neck of the woods- saddad and Deb P for a start. Enjoy your allotment!

BETTY 33

• Not So New ...
« Reply #358 on: February 06, 2011, 15:37:47 »
HI

Just joined your forum  i have an allotment in SANDWELL West Midlands i first started approx 5years ago complete novice, after first 12months i exchanged plots for the one the bottom of my garden the best thing i could have done, can go out there early morning late night when ever i have time to spare.
Each year still learn something new, i grow everything from veg fruit etc to my lovely flowers, yesterday i dug a load of parsnips out and froze some for later in the year.

Hope to hear from you all and hope i will be able to help anyone

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #359 on: February 06, 2011, 15:51:17 »
Hi Lottie and welcome to A4A  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal