Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 338549 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2010, 17:58:08 »
I remember years ago in the 80s I think, we corresponded with  a ladycalled Ann who claimed to have the first Ragdoll, hit by a car and all it's kittens thereafter were very laid back and floppy, hence the name she sais she had copyrighted,she sent us reams of info constantly  stating that she was the only person who had the true Ragdolls and everyone else was just cashing in on what she had. We thought she was quite dotty and after several months of thinking there seemed so much dissention we decided againsts it.

We got Chinchillas, and American Shorthair Silver Tabbies. We showed and bred for quite some years, the Chins anyway, the Tabs were my babies and I kept them just as pets, but my husband did very well with the Chins. We showed under the name Dollshouse and they all had sugar in their name.. Sugar Doll, Sugar Baby, Sugar Lump, Sugar Mouse, etc...that was in the US and Canada.

Gosh it seems a million years away now.

XX Jeannine

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 18:00:27 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Moody

« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2010, 12:27:25 »
Hello!

Me and the OH have recently taken on an Allotment in Stapleford, Nottingham.  At the moment, it's a haven of weeds.  So far, we've dug over a single 4ft wide bed just to get something in.  The remainder is covered with carpet following a couple of weekends of striming, the idea being to dig over before winter and leave covered until spring. It's 250 sq.m so we'll see how that goes...

Our main issues at the moment seem to be locating horse poo and planning out beds.  I'm fond of the idea of having 4ft wide beds with a path inbetween (have an enthusiastic 5 year old), but currently debating whether to make them "raised" using planks or whatever. 

Digging, strimming and shifting continues with earnest, very much looking forward to actually growing something!!!!

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2010, 18:11:46 »
I remember years ago in the 80s I think, we corresponded with  a ladycalled Ann who claimed to have the first Ragdoll, hit by a car and all it's kittens thereafter were very laid back and floppy, hence the name she sais she had copyrighted,she sent us reams of info constantly  stating that she was the only person who had the true Ragdolls and everyone else was just cashing in on what she had. We thought she was quite dotty and after several months of thinking there seemed so much dissention we decided againsts it.

We got Chinchillas, and American Shorthair Silver Tabbies. We showed and bred for quite some years, the Chins anyway, the Tabs were my babies and I kept them just as pets, but my husband did very well with the Chins. We showed under the name Dollshouse and they all had sugar in their name.. Sugar Doll, Sugar Baby, Sugar Lump, Sugar Mouse, etc...that was in the US and Canada.

Wow You actually coresponded woth the revered Ann Baker of Riverside California. How I would have loved to have asked her loads of questions. You are right though she was very eccentric and a tricky lady to deal with. Some of her explanations were out and out balmy but......she created a wonderful breed of cat. Once you are owned by one Ragdoll you end up with more I am sure they are adictive.

We have a little more in common too, Hubby and I  show our Raggies and the Persianx at GCCF shows up and down the country.We only do it as a hobby but have beeen pretty successful (well the cats have) winning best in show  twice and top kitten and female nueter in the country. The best for me though is always the temperment class which ours seem to always win (against all breeds) which for me is the ultimate.  We love the look of the Chinchillas too one day maybe if my hands improve we may get a kitten.

I really must post some piccies of our broad in the pets section.
Lindax

small

• Hectare
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2010, 18:16:07 »
Welcome, Moody, I'm not too far from you and there are some others from the Erewash area around.  Dry, isn't it!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2010, 00:37:53 »
Hi Moody, well I usually try to guess the origins of a name but not sure about yours..of course you could be from the town 3 minutes away from me called Port Moody,I will let you tell us about that one LOL

Welcome to you, I see like most of us you are up to your eyeballs in weeds etc.

Try asking your question in the basics thread, you might get more response there. I have 12 inch raised beds but there is more watering to do, so pros and con's to everything.

It is a good time to get a lottie you will be all tidied up for the spring.

Good Luck I hope you have lots of success.

Ragdollady, it is a small world isn't it.

It was a shame about the dottiness of Ann as we were very interested. My husband is a very gentle man and the the temperament would have been tailor made for him, and vica versa for the cat too. She was just so off that she put us off. She had all kinds of printed stuff, copies of letters of complaints  that she posted constantly. We didn't meet her although we did speak to her on the phone a couple of times. We were living in Canada then. I didn't know what to make of it to tell you the truth and because of her dottiness we were not sure if the gentleness of the cats was true. She was very determined to sell me us kitten,not like pushing something on us we didn't want, she was so determined that if we wanted a Ragdoll it was one that was genuine and went to great lenghs to prove other folks were not.
If she hadn't put us off I know we would have bought one. Still not to be.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2010, 01:15:40 »
The Nobster is back and growing veg in sunny Bristol!!

Nobbs xx  ::)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2010, 08:14:45 »
Well well Torreya is just down the road from me living in that great big house that we cannot see from the road. I often wondered what it was like and now I know. Welcome to the forum
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2010, 12:17:45 »
to all of the new members, very nice to have you here :)

lilyflower

• Not So New ...
« Reply #208 on: August 01, 2010, 22:33:09 »
Hi, I have just discovered this site after reading Valentine Low's allotment book.  I became the proud tenant of an overgrown and weedy allotment 10 years ago.  There are still weeds but it is definitely less overgrown.
I planted a whitecurrant bush about 8 years ago, but have never quite known what to do with them, sometimes I make jam, sometimes cordial, sometimes leave them to rot.  What do other folk do, please?

longalot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #209 on: August 03, 2010, 19:21:34 »
I would like to introduce myself.
My name is jason farmer.
My plot is in my back garden is 32 ft x 40 ft.
I am growing pretty much as standard set of crops.
All seems to be  going well. Except I am having to water
two times a day with my hose pipe with water timers.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #210 on: August 03, 2010, 19:35:30 »
Welcome from Corny to all the newbies and welcome back Nobster where have you been hiding, it must be about two years.   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 19:38:38 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2010, 19:40:15 »
Hi Lilyflower, what a pretty name, it sounds exotic and romantic.

Well it took you along time to find us, 10 years, that is longer then me LOL.

I hope you make some good friends and you must have lots of good advice to share.

Regarding your white currant bush.. wine , jam, cordial springs to  mind, maybe a jelly with currants and port wine may be great with meat like duck or goose.

I tend to fall back on a pie filling when I have a glut of berries of any kind. It makesa great topping for cheesecake rather than a filling as such.I make it and bottle/can it, properley sealed it lasts for years . Or you can freeze them and make ut as you need it.

Welcome to the forums.

Hellp Longalot.. well  I guess your name comes from your lot length and it is a great size.

I think everyone is watering lots this year, but you must be getting super crops. I am back over In Canada now but am familiar with the UK weather..I was born there, and just returned after a 9 year visit.

I hope you also enjoy the forum,

Both of you, just jump right in any posting, you will be very welcome.

XX Jeannine

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2010, 13:27:40 »
Hello - I don't have an allotment any more, due to increasing age and decrepitude, but I do still grow veggies in raised beds in my (very small) garden, and am always looking for advice and ideas  ???   Hope that's OK :)
War on slugs and snails!!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #213 on: August 07, 2010, 13:46:43 »
Hi asj - of course that's ok, the more the merrier  ;D

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #214 on: August 07, 2010, 14:01:26 »
I've just been introduced to A4A by Galina. :) I live in SW France.  Before that we had a large garden in Herts and have always grown our fruit and veg. Now we have an even bigger garden. 2 years ago, when we bought this house, we lifted turf from a flat area of garden to create a veg patch (10 x 20 mt). So we now can produce far more than our needs, we give lots away, and we are always finding more about the differences between growing in this climate and Herts. Being very near mountains, the weather is unpredictable, often wet and can be fiercely stormy.Today is very sunny though! It is warmer in the winter, sometimes frosty, bur the ground rarely freezes. We've found we can easily grow  eg rocket and coriander uncovered throughout winter. Our major pest problem is mole crickets, which are increasing in numbers and have eaten the majority of our potato crop sadly. We're workiong on buying appropriate nematodes, if anyone has any helpful comments, as we've not used them before.

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #215 on: August 07, 2010, 14:09:57 »
Thanks 1066.  :)
War on slugs and snails!!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #216 on: August 07, 2010, 16:07:32 »
Hello and welcome to all the newbies who have joined lately, and especially to Peanuts who I know from the kitchengarden group..

This is a brilliant forum and if you can't find advice, help and support about anything to do with gardening (and lots of things which are nothing at all to do with gardening,) you won't find it anywhere.  :)

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2010, 23:59:54 »
Oh more newbies, goodo.

Welcome Peanuts.. do you grow them, eat them or do you just like the character  ;D

You have a good contact with Galina, very knowledgeable gal.

Your place sounds lovely, well maybe not the crickets but very interesting.

I like nematodes, it's like having your own personal army helping you out.

I hope you enjoy the forum, certain you will and you can educate us about gardening in unpredictable wether, we were only talking about that a few days ago.

Welcome to asj.. well I can't figure out that name!!

I can certainly relate to you though, I too garden is small raised beds,and am getting very decrepit in my later years. I wish I had more space but we have to do what we can do.

You don't need a lottie to be here anyway so pull up  a chair and make yourself at home, it is a grand site, lots of help and support.

XX Jeannine

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #218 on: August 08, 2010, 13:11:14 »
Thanks Jeannine and Squash64 for the  welcome. I'm still trying to get to grips with the site and am spending  too much time being confused! I also haven't found any way of putting an identifying photo beside my postings like you all have, despite a thorough search of profile/help areas.  Any help welcome!
The name peanuts - I actually don't like eating them except the 'roasted' variety and I can't stand peanut butter.  But in the hurry to come up with a pseudonym, I thought of peanuts which inexplicably was the nickname I was known at in primary school - a long time ago.

lilyflower

• Not So New ...
« Reply #219 on: August 08, 2010, 14:18:41 »
Thanks for the welcome Jeanine and the whitecurrant ideas.  I made cordial with them in the end.  My name is Sue (which means lily - hence the name), married with 3 children all at uni come the Autumn.
 I have 2 allotment plots, half is trees / fruit bushes and the rest is veggies.  I have learnt lots from all the old boys on my allotment - but still have lots of questions!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal