Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 336357 times)

happygardner

• Not So New ...
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2010, 17:01:59 »
Hello all Being a newbie I wondered if someone could explain to me what all the stars and hectare mean by your user name Thanks also for the lovely welcome by the way the beans were lovely
Lorraine
may all your days be happy ones

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2010, 17:18:00 »
Hello all Being a newbie I wondered if someone could explain to me what all the stars and hectare mean by your user name Thanks also for the lovely welcome by the way the beans were lovely
Lorraine

the stars etc just mean you've been on this forum far too much, and not enuff time on the plot!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 17:39:29 by tonybloke »
You couldn't make it up!

happygardner

• Not So New ...
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2010, 17:24:25 »
OH DEAR I just hope that I dont get too many stars than ha ha
may all your days be happy ones

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2010, 23:22:54 »
to all new members who've joined recently :)  I know you will like it here, it's a lovely, friendly site :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2010, 13:06:39 »
Hello and welcome from me too Hyacinth_1, Splot and Happygardener  ;D

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2010, 20:03:48 »
hi everyone just checking in to join the newbies . well i guess iv'e got to start somwhere . oh and what a great bunch you all sound.   

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2010, 00:25:53 »
Yep, but come on in a take a chair..they are a great bunch but always glad to get another one.

Don't be shy, and tell us about yourself, where are you, what kind of a garden/lottie do you have, favourte things to grow. I am dead nosey!!

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2010, 07:25:10 »
hi jeannine . im based in south oxfordshire the lottie is 6o x 30 ft not sure about the rods / poles thing . not growing anything to fancy garlic onions potato carrot beetroot runners salad stuff and parsnips ooh and i do love parsnips!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2010, 08:55:56 »
Me too parsnips rock! It sounds like you have a nice selection of crops but I noticed no peas or beans?
Almost forgot Hi and welcome to A4A  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2010, 09:37:13 »
ooh   a gardener with class,,well done XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2010, 20:20:22 »
Hi jayb i am growing runner beans this year but no peas or broard beans as i still have a third of my plot still to dig, plus i was a bit gready in the seed potato section back in febuary !!! So room is a bit of an issue, needless to say i will be getting on with the digging asap. Also i have no room for any brassicas so no brussels for christmas. Boo hoo !!.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2010, 21:27:28 »
Another of my favorites, Runner Beans, I can't fault your choices  ;D.

If you think you will have a bit of space shortly you could always start some brasicas off in pots and plant out when space is available. Good luck with digging the remainder, hope your plot is not as dry as it is here  :)

sibadd

• Democracy Street
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2010, 13:34:38 »
Hullo Jeannie. Thank you so much for your encouraging welcome. I and my family are indeed newbies - beyond growing some potatoes and runner beans in our back garden, but we aren't entirely new to allotments as we with neighbours in Handsworth Birmingham have long been campaigning to re-open the Victoria Jubilee Allotments (VJA) - a private site sold to a developer back in the early 90s. We haven't got back the whole site but at least the city council has now taken over 79 new plots and a communal shed on significant part of the site - and many of those in the new houses have also taken up plots. The new VJA was opened on 12 June 2010. All plots are now taken. So now we must replace campaigning - though continuing to support other allotment campaigns where requested (as we were supported by gardeners across Birmingham over twenty years) - with cultivation and prove ourselves worthy of this beautiful site next to Handsworth Park. Fortunately we've many experts on the site to assist those of us new to growing our own food and it's clear there's much support on the web. Kindest regards Simon & Linda
http://democracystreet.blogspot.com/2010/06/got-plot.html
Simon Baddeley

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2010, 20:53:52 »
There was a post on there about that allotment just about 2 weeks ago with some history about the struggle. Well done to you all.

I will try to find the link for you XX Jeannine

Can't add the link but  here are the details

Started by Squash64 and headed...

"New allotment site opening up in Birmingham tomorrow"

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 20:59:39 by Jeannine »

Halfalot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2010, 14:23:38 »
Hello
I've just joined and have found that I should introduce myself here! We have had our alotment for nearly 3 years. We are up in the foothills of the Pennines in Yorkshire and so our growing season can be shorter and cooler than others.

Our plot is the last on the site and I think we get more than our fair share of weed seeds blown in from the surrounding fields and weeds do really well on our site!

We bought a shed and a greenhouse last year (or was it the year before?) but due to break-ins we can't keep anything of value in the shed. We had the foresite to buy a greenhouse with polycarbonate so stone throwers would struggle to break it.

We were wondering about getting a small polytunnel, because as I said we get our share of cold, wet and windy weather, but we have hesitated because the plastic sheeting may prove too much temptation for some people with a knife? Does anyone have experience of using polytunnels on allotments and is vandalism a problem?

Thanks

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2010, 16:36:06 »
Welcome to the site, Halfalot! No experience of polytunnels I'm afraid, but others will be along soon who have.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2010, 22:53:03 »
Hi halfalot, welcome. I am sorry but I cannot help you with the poltunnel question either, maybe that one woud be better put on as question on the forum

XX Jeannine

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2010, 23:11:23 »
Hello to all of the newbies and welcome to A4A :)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2010, 19:31:46 »
 Hello all newbies a big welcome to you all ;D ;D ;D.

mark p

• Not So New ...
« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2010, 23:28:02 »
Hello, we have a 14ftx24ft polytunnel on the allotment, the door is held closed with a simple lock that can be opened by anyone.  The thought was if someone broke in and found the polytunnel locked they would slash the plastic just to get in.  So far we have had no problems, might be a bit soon as it's only been up 6months or so  ;D

Mark

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal