Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 362180 times)

kymrob

• Half Acre
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #420 on: April 10, 2011, 18:41:17 »
welcome and enjoy i know how exciting it is to finally get a plot ;D as for the shed through personal experience dont rush in and buy one as we where offered 2 freebies within a couple months being onsite the one we ended up with was from different plot once painted it was like brand new, spread the word you are on the lookout and look on freecycle!

Urlybird

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #421 on: April 15, 2011, 22:07:39 »
Tomorrow is the first day, of the rest of my life,

I went to the doctors today, he told me i had got to take tablets for the rest of my life, i'm a bit concerned, he only gave me 14, so on that note i'm wondering whether its going to be worth my effort digging over the veg plot tomorrow.

In previous posts i said that i don't have an allotment, well this is true, however i do have a reasonable sized back garden, with 2 in number 8' x 6' greenhouses, and a veg plot large enough for 3 fruit trees, a few rows of onions, and a some runner beans.

Oh i forgot the fig tree, and 2 grape vines, 1 black (can I say "black") and a white, Rheisling variety, the white produced enough fruit for us to have 2 demijohns of "wine" festering in the airing cupboard, (i'll keep you posted)

d**n, i forgot to mention the 2 apricot trees too, both of which i grew from seeds. I'm hoping for more fruit from them this year, their 6th year.

So thats the "outback" described,

Out front i have another 2 apple trees, both unknown varieties, but they taste alright, 3 Greengage trees and an over hanging victoria plum tree.

Somewhere, in the world, the sun is over the yardarm,

pumkinlover

« Reply #422 on: April 15, 2011, 22:47:39 »
 ;D ;D ;D
Get digging earlybird! sounds like you have a great set-up!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #423 on: April 16, 2011, 06:13:27 »
Your garden sounds great
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #424 on: April 21, 2011, 20:38:47 »
Ok, after my brief introduction from a few days ago, allow me, if i may, to tell you a wee bit more about myself,

I'm a bloke, well for most days of the week, on Wednesdays, when the wife is at bingo, i lapse into Sally mode, and dress as a laydeee,

Anyway i digress

For 87.5% of the time i'm a bloke, that builds houses and stuff, to pay my tax bills,

2.5% is spent on my veg plot and garden,

with 5 % spent in the pub, and the rest of my time asleep, or pricing work, or chasing leads

Sally ??   Thought it was 'Wendy'  ;)

Hi Urly, Nice to see you here  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 20:57:25 by Angel »

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #425 on: April 22, 2011, 14:22:06 »
hello to all the newbies! happy gardening.
rgds, Tony
You couldn't make it up!

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #426 on: April 24, 2011, 14:03:07 »
Hi All

I'm Lisa - and I've just been to my allotment to sign the lease and get the gate key!  I have a small paved back garden at home, and have been waiting on the allotment list in my own area (South London) for two and a half years.  However, the lovely people in the next borough have let me have a plot on one of their sites. ;D

It's not the biggest plot - 100 square metres - but that's plenty for us to get started on.  The plot needs a good clean up - it's full of weeds and couch grass, but there are also three young apple trees, four raspberry canes and a blackberry bush.  I also have five 4m x 1.9m raised beds and a 3m triangle bed.

I've been lurking on your site for a while, but since I actually have the plot now, I thought it would be polite to introduce myself.  I am sure I will be asking for lots of advice!

Lisa

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #427 on: April 24, 2011, 14:15:29 »
welcome lisa  ;D very exciting isnt getting your plot and still time to put lots in!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #428 on: April 24, 2011, 15:32:31 »
Hi Lisa welcome to the madhouse.   :P ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #429 on: April 24, 2011, 18:21:18 »
Hello Lisa
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #430 on: April 24, 2011, 20:44:10 »
Hiya, everyone, happy growing  :)

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #431 on: April 24, 2011, 21:11:37 »
welcome lisa :)

thedigalots

« Reply #432 on: April 26, 2011, 10:15:26 »
Hiya,

We have just taken on an allotment, we got it around the 20th March and have been busy clearing and planting!  It's been quite an effort, but this weekend we finally managed to dig out the final bed!

Here's a before picture, I'll take a picture at the weekend to show where we're at now!

Adrian & Sarah

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #433 on: April 27, 2011, 08:33:02 »
welcome to the forum!  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #434 on: April 27, 2011, 21:47:34 »
Welcome digalots  :)

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #435 on: April 27, 2011, 22:17:41 »
Hi, Lisa, and digalots have fun its not all hard work, and wait till you start cooking from yourown plot Goodluck :)
m j gravell

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #436 on: April 29, 2011, 23:07:01 »
 :D :D
A big fat smiley from Nottingham ;D ;D

this is my 3rd post (the first two are on the Swap Shop if you'd like to have a peep)

Am a average experienced gardener with a newly-acquired lotti close to my humble terraced house with a weeny back garden (filled with pots and more pots of ornamentals). on the lotti, am growing a whole array of veggies and now have the opportunity to expand my ornamentals there. got the usual suspects already growing on my windowsills at home, and some already planted out at the lotti. the lotti was completely overgrown and hadn't been cultivated for at least 2 yrs, so you can imagine the horrors that we've faced since we started digging this Feb. firstly, we discovered we had Jap. Knotweed :o :o :o :o yes, so sad and angry we were having took 3 full days just to clear the top growth to then realise all these orange nasty taproots in the ground clinging onto massive stumps.. apparently, it was treated last yr, but since the onset of Spring, we've found some shoots coming up...

anyway, enough of the grim news and back on the upside.. got a second-hand shed for £50 and some slabs for a quid each. freegled wood to make a wooden shack adjoining this so that we can have some shade this summer. the lotti's in full sun as it's very open and on a gradual slope, NE-facing). we've also installed a frog pond utilising an old plastic storage box and the taddies seem ok in there still. the coldframe bed is still being dug (it's going to be sunk in and then an old glass door will be the cover. our bottom neighbour got us a bath which was sosooso kind of him (he knows we don't drive) so in return shall be sharing lots with him.. have done so with my spare kale plants so far..

oh, i'm rabbiting on now.. if anyone lives nearby, i'd love to chat over a coffee, share tales/plants/seeds whatever.. or just a hello will be nice. am a lone gardener with a mad obsession about plants.. ornamentals mainly, but also on unusual veg recently..

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #437 on: April 30, 2011, 08:18:05 »
Hiya, Digalots and Irridium, welcome to the mad house, watch out for the seedaholics, they'll drag you in  ;D
Bit far away from Nottingham but on here lots, rabbit away  ;D

DuracellDruid

« Reply #438 on: May 10, 2011, 15:41:44 »
 Hello, I'm Em, known as Duracell Druid as I have a 'battery pack' aka pacemaker and defibrillator and erm I'm a Druid  ;D

Live in Swindon, Wilts, with my husband and our two youngest children (the rest are all grown and left home  8)

We have recently acquired an allotment, which is coming on nicely, but no doubt I'll be asking for lots of advice from fellow allotment holders :D   

Just in from tidying the garden up and emptying one compost bin to take it to the allotment tomorrow. Also re-potting seedlings (pepper and cayenne)

Children are very kindly 'helping' tidy up... hmmm more work later for me I think hehe

Anyhow, nice to meet you all and look forward to getting to know you all too xx

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #439 on: May 16, 2011, 21:39:29 »
Hi just joined I am an Ecologist my specialization in land consultancy and advisory in conservation matters,

I am also a freelance writer and photographer, Just taken on a new allotment but have had plots for 30 0dd years but now moved to another town so have had to start a new one.

I have a garden but not big enough for veg as such.

I also do competitions so anyone need any help just ask.

I live in North Suffolk.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal