Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 358878 times)

Radish

Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #300 on: November 09, 2010, 19:54:51 »
Hi,
I joined the forum a while back but unfortunately I only got to post 1 message before life took over and took away all my time!
So anyway, I'm back for another go....hope thats ok.
I got my allotment just over a year ago and I have absolutely loved the last year. My favorite was the sweetcorn, we had tons and its frozen well, should keep us going all winter!
I'm also studying at uni and am now in my final year, first draft of my dissertation is done...so I am hoping to relax and dedicate more time to my passion (gardening that is!)
xx

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #301 on: November 12, 2010, 08:50:14 »
Hi and Welcome back Radish  ;D
Wow sounds like you have had a busy first year on the lottie and juggling Uni, good luck with your dissertation  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

montbrayon

• Not So New ...
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #302 on: November 12, 2010, 17:17:51 »
Hi, I have just found this A4All  forum and found it very informative. 

My plot is not actually mine, I (and my OH) cut grass and hedges in exchange for using the veg plot, as the couple who own it also have a house further down south and only visit here about twice a year.  It is situated in a little village in Normandy, we retired here about 2 years ago after living and working all our lives in Sheffield, Yorkshire.  The first plot I had last year was owned by a neighbour who generously said I could use part of his land to grow my veg, (we have no land with our property) this was ideal for me as I hadn't grown any veg at all before as we didn't even have a garden, so it was a good starting point.  It was only about 10 sq metres, but I managed to grow potatoes, onions, courgettes, carrots, lettuce, radish, cucumber, broad beans and squash.  (I'm sure I have missed something!!)  After getting the" gardening bug" from that small patch, this year I have quadrupled my growing space and grown all the above with a few more experimental plants to me anyway!! e.g. sweetcorn, cabbages, beetroot, swede, broccoli, garlic, I am not sure about growing the cabbage and sprouting broccoli again as I have been bombarded with caterpillars eating just as much as us!!!  At one point in Sept/Oct it took me about an hour a day, twice a day to go round catching them as they were quiet prolific to say the least.

Anyway this is a brief outline of what I have at the moment, I will post pictures no doubt at a later date, time and caterpillars permitting!!!

Regards to all members, happy gardening  ;D
Montbrayon

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #303 on: November 12, 2010, 20:12:33 »
Welcome to the forum, Montbrayon- is that the name of your village?

montbrayon

• Not So New ...
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #304 on: November 12, 2010, 21:16:31 »
Hi Caroline, thanks for welcome, village is Montbray. 

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #305 on: November 13, 2010, 22:27:48 »
Hi to all new members to the forum :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #306 on: November 14, 2010, 17:41:28 »
And a big wecome from me Monty. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mahooli

• Not So New ...
« Reply #307 on: November 20, 2010, 15:11:50 »
Hi all, my name is Becky. I have recently moved to Stourport having been homeless on and off for about 8 years (hoping I wont be moved on too quickly from this place lol!!) I had an allotment a few years back, well 6 to be honest, and would love another one, or at least some plot of land to do some growing.
Having said that I'm not the greatest vegetable fan but still would love to grow as much as possible of that which I do eat so my plot may be limited to spuds, shallots, spuds, peas, beef tomatoes, spuds, Rhubarb, spuds, more rhubarb, raspberries, spuds, strawberries, rhubarb and possibly some potatoes!!!
Would love to have chickens again too and maybe grow myself a turkey for Christmas one year!!! Pigs too if I'm lucky enough to get more land, and possibly sheep!!
Looking forward to any advice that can be given when I do find somewhere!!
Becky

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #308 on: November 20, 2010, 15:19:16 »
Hi to all the new people  ;D
Mahooni, I hope you can get settled and find somewhere to grow your spuds  :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #309 on: November 21, 2010, 22:03:38 »
Hi my name is Anne and I have had an allotment for 18 years. So I have learned a bit in that time, but having joined this forum a couple of months ago I realise how much more there is to learn. I also like alpine plants but know even less about them!!
I love to grow my own vegetables and manage to be nearly self-sufficient. My OH is my handyman and labourer but thinks gardening itself is the most boring occupation. But he likes the produce :D
My allotment is round the corner and I can cycle there with my trailer to cart all the compost there. I am secretary and have been for the last four years-should I advertise this ;)-not sure!
I have found this site very inspirational and am spending too much time on the lap top now!

Anne x

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #310 on: November 22, 2010, 09:47:57 »
Welcome to the site, Anne- after 18 years I'm sure you'll be able to give lots of advice as well as getting some!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #311 on: November 22, 2010, 10:28:20 »
Hi Anne..and welcome to the "neighbourhood" ;) Gosh..yes..18 yrs..you must have grown pumpkin or two for now.
My OH doesn't appreciate neither of all digging and weeding and such..he is now left to do all rough stuff and anything involving powertools and machinery ::)
Nice to hear from you and keep posting... ;D
I'm living not far from you so if you are ever after swapping something... ;) ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #312 on: November 22, 2010, 10:44:24 »
Welcome aboard Anne and all you new members that have joined the site. 

pumkinlover

« Reply #313 on: November 24, 2010, 08:00:15 »
Thank you for kind replies  :)

Gothmaga

• Not So New ...
« Reply #314 on: November 30, 2010, 11:50:48 »
Hi one and all  :)

I have just received a letter advising me I have a place at a new allotment site in Ashmead, Cam, Gloucestershire.
I have grown a small amount of veg in my back garden and really excited about the chance to grow more, if a little terrified at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking forward to taking all the good advice on here and trying to not make a hash of things lol

Wish me luck  ;)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #315 on: November 30, 2010, 12:51:03 »
Oooo, hello Gothmaga, welcome to A4A and conga-rats on getting your allotment! :) Lots of lovely people and ample tips and info on here, so go on, get stuck in ;D ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #316 on: November 30, 2010, 13:13:44 »
Welcome from another newbie :)

Gothmaga

• Not So New ...
« Reply #317 on: November 30, 2010, 13:15:24 »
Thanks for the warm welcome on a chilly day :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #318 on: November 30, 2010, 13:37:09 »
forgot to say how addictive the site is though- i've just seen i have moved up to half acre from quarter. At first i wondered who these people were with all this land!!! ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #319 on: November 30, 2010, 13:42:27 »
Code: [Select]
At first i wondered who these people were with all this land!!!
Ohh..I wish. Hectare would be lovely, although I probably would struggle to cultivate it all by myself..unless I would have a tractor ;D I wonder if Santa would get me one.. ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal