Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 358931 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2010, 17:35:01 »
Welcome to one and all, I also have Hessayons book.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

bridbod

• Not So New ...
« Reply #181 on: July 16, 2010, 19:06:45 »
Hi Jeannine
Thanks for your welcome. (I'm in Bridlington most days and sometimes pass your favourite wet fish shop, which I think might be called "Taste 'O 'The Sea", my mum used to shop there about 30 years ago !!)
I'm growing T &M Defender sweetcorn, which grew like corn possessed under fleece tunnel cloches last month. Just wondered if its a variety you'd tried.

bridbod

• Not So New ...
« Reply #182 on: July 16, 2010, 20:20:13 »
Whoops, not defender but Conquerer, silly me
ian

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #183 on: July 17, 2010, 08:06:39 »
Lots of new faces, Sibadd, Halfalot, Mark P, Vickim, Palmski, EnglishRose, Luckycharlie, Bridbod, Featherfriend, Greenkinsy, hope I haven't missed anyone.

I just wanted to say Hi and welcome from me too  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #184 on: July 17, 2010, 08:48:19 »
Hi Bridbod, yes that was the name of the shop.

Your corn choice was a good one, a bit late but it should mature OK. and you may get 3 cobs from some plants, I prefer ones that only get 2, 3 tops as the cobs are better. but it is a good corn a supersweet so will taste really good.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2010, 08:54:07 »
Welcome greenkinsey, that spade will soon be mucky. I do hope the joy of gardening helps your partner, depression is a terrible thing to have to cope with. I do believe that the simple thing of watching things grow does help though. I know several folks in this position and they all say it works. There is a lot of pride in growing something well and that is always a good thing, so good luck.

I think you will enjoy the forum, and your new family here.What area are you in>

Take care and have fun

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

GreenFingered

« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2010, 09:18:35 »
Hi all, i'm joy, 25 from NE England.

Ive just been offered a little alloment after becomiing top of the waiting list. Ive accepted it, it needs an awful lot of sorting but i'm not too worried  :)

Looking forward to picking up lots of handy hints and tips here, and hoping you will all keep me on the right track.  ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #187 on: July 17, 2010, 09:22:30 »
Well hello amd welome Greenfingered. Glad to hear you have your lottie, lots of help for you here with all things including getting  a new lottie into shape so ask away.

Have fu

XX Jeannine

greenkinsy

« Reply #188 on: July 17, 2010, 11:14:11 »
Hello again, we have been to see our allotment, and it has beautiful views of the Somerset levels.. we live in South Somerset. the plot is about 5 mtrs by 20 mtrs, and is on virgin ground !! the field has only this year been turned into allotments so will need lots of hard work but will feel like we are pioneers ! we met 2 other 'lottie holders they seem like nice people.
The ground is hard and covered in weeds and thistles.. the few allotments already started do seem productive.. and the dug soil looks rich and dark. One person has made his plot into a 'real' garden, with mowed lawn and flower and veg beds.. and a garden bench  :)
we intend to start small , making and planting small beds with little paths around them.. and see how things progress from there .
 ;)

Tismetoo

« Reply #189 on: July 17, 2010, 12:53:15 »
Hi, to all newbies, I have started this  this spot here so you can,  if you choose, come and  say Hi and introduce yourself and  tell us a bit about your garden etc. Often newbies get overlooked when saying hi in the other threads and I for one feel bad if I don't get chance to welcome them.  I will bump up the thread periodically and we can see how it goes.

XX Jeannine

Never very good at this forum stuff - Just joined today, I'm a beginner with raised bed allotment,  anyone tell me what to plant up when my 'little' crops are finished, in propably just a few weeks. I live in North West of England, so very breasy and prone to rain,....... Many thanks.

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #190 on: July 17, 2010, 13:45:43 »
Hi all! Just joined this morning.....feeling my way round the site   :) My name is Jean, 54 & I'm from East Anglia. I've had my allotment for 18months but it took me a year to prepare the ground before planting anything seriously. So far this year my crops have come on beautifully. That was until we had the high winds a day or so ago. Unfortunately, I've nearly lost all my french beans and a few of the sweet corn. I felt a little devastated  :( Already I have received a useful tip to why my broccoli bolted. I know I shall enjoy this site tremendously for further tips. How about this for good news. 2 weeks ago, I organised a meeting and I invited our special guest to attend, Karen Kenny, the Eastern Region Representative of the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners. With her help we have formed a Committee for an Allotment Association. I'm very excited and looking forward towards our future projects!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #191 on: July 17, 2010, 15:40:34 »
Welcome Tismetoo love the name,
Welcome Jupiter pity about your french beans .
sanity is overated

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #192 on: July 17, 2010, 17:35:06 »
Hiya, all you new growers  ;D
Tismetoo, we're in the north west and grow great crops, :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2010, 21:57:15 »
Greenkinsey, wow that sounds smashing, a pionerr eh. I always fancied myself as a pioneer too, racing for land in the Oklamoma land rush. oh yea I would have been there for sure. I hope it all you want it to be.

Tismetoo, so glad you decided to join us. This forum is very laid back so yu should be just fine.

Having introduced yorself try putting your question over in basics, I think you will get tons of help over there. I have all raised beds too.
There is a post I started about winter gardening that you might find useful too.

Wecome Jupiter, you seem to have taken off quite well, shame about your beans and your corn too, and you not pick it up and support it.

Well done for your special visitor, you are getting very organised.

I hope you both enjoy the forum. I find there is usually an answer to most questions and lots of caring support too.

XX Jeannine

Nikita77

• Not So New ...
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2010, 16:22:13 »
Have been looking for a thread like this.  i am new on here only just registered i live in East Sussex, have had an allotment now for about 6 months, well i say an allotment a patch of land that the council have the cheek to call an allotment and ease the blow by only charging me half the rent for the first year!

I am a Manager with Mencap full time and have a 19 month son, have been interested in growing my own produce for about 4 years now, my partner is interested in eating it!!

Anyway enough of the rabbiting from me, looking forward to getting to know you and becoming a regular poster! :) :) :) :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2010, 03:07:40 »
Welcome Nikita, glad to have you with us. Bet I can make your plot seem better.. I have a Canadian one size is 10 feetx 25 feet... gosh I would like yours, even if rough.. mine is a postage stamp.

You are certainly busy,

We will look forward to yor posting, after 4 years we may have questions for you!!

XX Jeannine

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2010, 13:31:43 »
Hello i am Linda from Canvey Island. I am really pleased to have discovered this forum you all seem such a helpful and friendly bunch.  :) I dont have an allotment but I have converted a patch 13ftx13ft in my garden which I started growing vegetables in grow bags last year. This year I am also growing things in pots on the patio, the borders of the flower beds and in two plastic tomato houses. I have arthritis and fibromalgia so find digging too hard hence the growbags.
I hope you wont mind me asking you some really dumb questions? :-[ Oh and I help with cat rescue so if anywone has any questions feline I would be glad to help. :)

Plot6b

• Not So New ...
« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2010, 20:56:29 »
Hello I'm Plot 6b and I've just joined the forum. I am located in Warwickshire and have two Allotment plots with my OH. I am looking forward to gleaming advice off you all and to plenty of chat and banter :) :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2010, 21:18:05 »
Hello Ragdoll Lady, well we have so much in common it is eerie.

Does the name come from the Ragdoll cat or the toy. I am laughing because we almost bought Rag kittens years ago when they were quite new over here, but we decided to go with a different breed . I I have a very also made the toys too!!I have even done quite a lot of animal rescue.

I have a very small plot and am doing quite a bit in pots too, I have got quite a lot of veggie types that are good in containers.

Would you believe our health problems are the same too.. funny life eh.

Don't wory about questions we have all been there.

I hope you enjoy the forum, you are right they are a very firendly bunch, and we always have room for another one.

Plot6b.. well I guess that menas something too.

You are so lucky to have so much growind space, I envy you, we did have 2 large plots when in the UK but when we returned to Canada our plot size went down to the average living room size !!

Chat and banter is good, so welcome to the forum and I shall look forward to hearing some of yours.

Sorry for the typos, my laptop is dying fast, now the mouse has died and the spellcheck has given up, so add that to the fact that some keys don't work and I can't type anyway...

XX Jeannine

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2010, 14:44:30 »
Hello Jeanine,
Yes the  cyber name is about Ragdoll cats, I have 5 of them and a Persian Ragdoll cross. They are the most amazing breed of cats and are into everything. They even "Help" with the gardening normally digging up the plants I have just planted :)

Yes isnt it strange we both have the same health problems. Must admit that the constant pain and tiredness is really wearing me down at the moment. I do think seeing things grow in the veg patch is so rewarding and never ceases to cheer me up.

Thanks again for the warm welcome
Linda

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal