General > The Shed

A place for newbies to introduce themselves.

<< < (4/207) > >>

1066:
Lovely idea Jeannine  :) And making it a sticky makes heaps of sense

And a proper formal welcome to Torreya (that's some project!!), Le-y and Wilder  ;D

Sparkly:

--- Quote from: Torreya on March 12, 2010, 13:15:53 ---Marvellous idea, thank you!!

I'll start the ball rolling, shall I?

Newbie to this site, joined a few weeks ago, but just after I did, the 'pooter packed up!!

We don't have a 'proper' allotment  :(

We DO have a walled garden with a veg plot of 25yds x 25yds  ;D

Had a bad few years for various reasons, so starting off with a massive clearout of the brambles, weeds etc. If you want to see how we're getting on, look at our new blog at   http://ashfurlongwalledkitchengarden.blogspot.com

We're in Sutton Coldfield nearish to Hill allotments, just much, much colder!

Into growing lots of old/Heritage varieties, to try and keep in with the age of the garden, plus unusuals such as Oca, Achocha etc  So I'm doing a lot of swaps with friends made on this and other sites.

Hope to pick up some tips from all the many experts on this site - you all sound brilliant!!

--- End quote ---

Wow this looks amazing!! Best of luck with it!

irnhed:
Hi guys - about time I introduced myself.  Seems like the perfect opportunity.

Real name is Rob (irnhed is a nickname from ages ago), and I live just South West of B'Ham with my wife & 4 year old son and 2 (about to be 3) year old daughter.

I've got two allotments, one for veg & one for fruit.  Veg is actually a half plot (hoping to extend to a full one this season, after a successful 'probation' year).  Fruit one is a 2/3 plot, newly planted with some fruit trees & blueberry bushes (bit of a longer term plan that one).  Currently working on the bog garden, pond, insect hotel & log pile on the newer fruit plot.

In addition to those, I've got some home-made veg bozes at the bottom of the garden (to use up the huuuge concrete space that the previous owner used as a base for his massive shed).  I use these for quicker crops like salads etc. and to help educate the kids about growing things from scratch.

Along with the annual family sunflower growing competition.

We've also got 5 chickens living in the garden (Xena, Susie, Frankie, Goldie & Murray) and I've got a colony of honey bees in a local orchard, which seemed to have survived 'our' first winter so far (fingers crossed).  Also got 2 other hives that need stripping in preparation for some new colonies in the Summer (hopefully).

Man, makes me tired just typing all of that out, never mind looking after it...    The kids love being on the allotments, and I'm slowly sucking my wife in to it as well.  

I'm also a big advocate of wildlife gardening, so I do what I can to encourage as many species as possible in as may areas as possible.  Whilst also trying to keep it looking tidy so I don't get in trouble on the sites.

Have been lurking since around September last year, and have learnt more on line here than in all of the books that I've read   :)

Torreya:
Hi Irnhed and welcome!
 Love the sound of your chooks, we're unfortunately not allowed 'farm animals' as part of the tenancy, more's the pity.
How are the blueberries doing, and do you know the var's?  We grow 4 vars so far, mainly in pots so I can keep a better eye on the pH. Last year they were absolutely fantastic, just hope they haven't suffered too much from the winter!

Greetings again, and I agree totally with you, it's a great site and has got me 'out of my shell'.  It's difficult to shut me up now ;)

cornykev:
I'm all for sticky  :P
Welcome guys and girls to A4A
Asylum 4 Allotmenteers
 ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version