Author Topic: Powdery Mildew (and another Squash question!)  (Read 1577 times)

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
Powdery Mildew (and another Squash question!)
« on: March 11, 2010, 13:51:30 »
Last year my 1 pumpkin and 3 courgettes all developed this. I basically got enough fruits till almost the end of the season before it killed them off>
I took out the largest affected leaves and tried to be careful about water splashing on them. But I'm certain that the spores will have fallen onto that soil.
Well, this year I have to grow them in the same space, although I've broadened the bed and dug it over well.

Are there precautions I can take to ensure that I keep it to a minimum for this year? It's a very sunny, warm spot with almost no shade (south coast UK)
St Leonard's on Sea

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Powdery Mildew (and another Squash question!)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 15:53:36 »
Hope for a dry summer. The amount of mildew depends very much on the humidity.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 15:54:46 »
I think that you have dug your bed well over may solve your problem.
It's one of those thing that stressed plants suffer from. Half of mine suffered last year, but only because they got put in an undug bit of ground.

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 14:24:16 »
thanks all, that good to know. :)
St Leonard's on Sea

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 23:41:36 »
You can't really avoid it  totally but generally by the time it hits the growth is coming to an end. it certainly will be earlier if there is a damp summer.Once the plants get it the squash will no longer grow so you may as well pull them. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal