Author Topic: driving theory test  (Read 11456 times)

ACE

• Hectare
driving theory test
« on: March 10, 2010, 19:23:57 »
Options on your theory test. Did you know if English is not your first language you can take it in a language of your choice ,here are the options :-

Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Dari, English, Farsi, Gujarati, Hindi, Kashmiri, Kurdish, Mirpuri, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Pushto, Spanish, Tamil, Turkish, Urdu, Welsh.

Now think about it ,you can't read English ,you are bolling down the motorway the overhead warning says stay left , shall I go on .

I'm told in France you have to take the test in French .

Passed on from a mate of mine. I'm amazed.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: driving theory test
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 19:30:55 »
I tend to agree Ace, however, bear in mind that there is also a practical test where you have to react appropriately to road signs?

I think our theory test is far too easy. You can learn it up from the CD. In many countries you also have to pass a first aid test and a car maintenance test. I would welcome that here.  (Car maintenance just means things like topping up fluids, tyre pressures etc. now that you can do nothing without the computer aided diagnostics)

Ah I remember stripping down my carburettor many years ago .....

Autres temps autres moeurs!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 19:37:20 »
I tend to agree Ace, however, bear in mind that there is also a practical test where you have to react appropriately to road signs?

They do not go on motorways until after the test.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 19:55:36 »
true and that's bloody stupid!! (imho)

2 things today :
going round "roundabout" with traffic lights. left lane turn left, middle lane straight ahead, right lane straight ahead or right. I was in the right lane to turn right but on my way round a large (and very ugly) 4by4 cut in in front of me from the middle lane then drove at 25 mph in 40mph area. grrrrrrrr

approaching junction with traffic lights. left lane left or straight ahead. right lane right but about 20 metres further on at second traffic lights. As I drove straight ahead from left lane a large BMW in the right lane cut in in front of me and then proceeded at 25 mph in 40 mph area.  double grrrrrrrrr

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 19:57:43 »
The motorway signs over here in england (are there any motorways on the rock?) have symbols, like arrows to indicate which lane you should be in. This country allows foreign drivers (even those from IOW) to drive on our roads, and I believe english folk are allowed to drive in foreign countries as well.
are you suggesting folk should only be allowed on roads where they can speak the lingo?
 :)
You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 19:59:03 »
then drove at 25 mph in 40mph area. grrrrrrrr

by the way, they are speed limits, which means the maximum speed, not the minimum. when exactly did you take your test?
You couldn't make it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 20:03:01 »

2 things today :
going round "roundabout" with traffic lights. left lane turn left, middle lane straight ahead, right lane straight ahead or right. I was in the right lane to turn right but on my way round a large (and very ugly) 4by4 cut in in front of me from the middle lane then drove at 25 mph in 40mph area. grrrrrrrr

approaching junction with traffic lights. left lane left or straight ahead. right lane right but about 20 metres further on at second traffic lights. As I drove straight ahead from left lane a large BMW in the right lane cut in in front of me and then proceeded at 25 mph in 40 mph area.  double grrrrrrrrr

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 20:04:37 »

2 things today :

Do you drive a nissan micra? if you do perhaps they were just getting their own back ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 20:09:52 »

by the way, they are speed limits, which means the maximum speed, not the minimum. when exactly did you take your test?

When did you take yours matie?

My nephew is currently learning and has been told: speed limits mean you don't exceed that speed but also mean you drive at or close to that speed.

Why do you always have to be so offensive?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 20:13:20 »

2 things today :

Do you drive a nissan micra? if you do perhaps they were just getting their own back ;D

errm no!
 toyota auris diesel  2 litre?
does it matter in town or i it not more about driving style?

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 20:20:58 »
actually the test is still in English, but you can get headphones to listen to a translation of the questions, and a translation of the options for the answers. Even if your English is good, you'ld be daft not to use it

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 21:03:12 »

My nephew is currently learning and has been told: speed limits mean you don't exceed that speed but also mean you drive at or close to that speed.

Why do you always have to be so offensive?

NO. you drive at a speed that is safe both for you and other drivers.

I might be carrying as boot full of manure and seat full of eggs. Why should I drive at what the sign says. I didnt see many people driving at the maximum legal speed when the snow was around !!

Were does it say this either in he Highway Code or the Road Traffic Act ?

I suggest your nephew changes instructor.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 21:10:34 »

July, 1975. In Cambridge. (town with more than it's fair share of cyclists). I think it was a tuesday, at about 11 o'clock.  I passed on the first attempt, and have never had a my-fault accident. had 1 (one) speeding ticket in 34 yrs. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 21:21:57 »
When I learnt (and passed) back in 1988, I was taught I had to drive at the speed limit.  I would have failed my test (due to not "keeping up with the traffic") if I had not driven at just under 40mph in a 40mph area...  obviously there are circumstances where one has to drive slower.

Police do sometimes stop drivers for driving "too slowly"

mike77

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 21:56:19 »
I failed my first test for driving too slowly!! As soon as driving became my living slow driving had to become a thing of the past ;D

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 22:04:46 »
Car maintenance just means things like topping up fluids, tyre pressures etc. now that you can do nothing without the computer aided diagnostics
4 times our car has been connected to a garages computer aided diagnostics, and 4 times it has been incorrectly diagnosed.
And I've done plenty of jobs on our car that don't need the diagnostics.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

markp2511

• Quarter Acre
  • Do one brave thing today.....then run!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 22:12:13 »
You're expected to 'make due progress' - 20mph in a 40 limit when it's icy is fine; on a sunny morning in dry, claer conditions and it's just bloody annoying!  I ran a red light on my test and passed - I was turning right at a junction and 3 cars coming the opposite way ran the amber and red.  I just booted it to avoid the traffic from the left as the lights changed, and was complimented for not panicking by the examiner.   :)

If you're driving very slowly for a good reason (which I will be on Friday with my plasma screen in the back of a van moving house) then hazard lights are an option.  

I was behind someone down the country lanes the other day barely doing 20 in a 60 limit, with nowhere to safely overtake for about 3 mile.  I'm not the road rage type, but I was steaming after 10 minutes of that.  

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 22:48:08 by markp2511 »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 23:57:02 »
I passed my test in 1968 and I cannot remember anything about going too slowly. 

I did not do an emergency stop on my test because there was a huge lorry right on my tail which the examiner did not notice.  Never seen someone look so pale.  I don't think he noticed anything after that.

The cotswolds are full of people driving too slowly and there is nowhere to overtake.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:42 »
Police do sometimes stop drivers for driving "too slowly"

Happened to a friend of mine recently, he was doing 24mph in a 30 zone late at night, and got breathalysed.

The theory test questions are laughably easy. My favourite one was "You are first at the scene of an accident. Do you: (A) Drive on (B) Try to get everyone out of the car (C) Call 999 (D) Offer the casualty a cigarette"

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 08:39:29 »
When learning I used to stop at every zebra crossing and my driving instructor said 'are you waiting for the man in that house to pack his suitcase for his holidays and then lock up and then maybe want to use the crossing'.  Always remember that.  I was one of the slow drivers with a queue of irrate people behind me.  Well I never enjoyed driving, and only learnt cause my ex-husband was always drunk.  I gave up my car when I was 60 and have a bike and a bus pass and don't miss it.  In that theory test, do you ring 999 (depends on the severity of the accident), get people out of the car, but maybe not move them if badly injured so I don't know the answer.  I think I would have a cigarette myself for the shock of seeing an accident. ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal