Author Topic: ..And my Hardy Bamboo (Fargesia Murielie)...is it really hardy?  (Read 1409 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Hi Y'All

Me again, you can see I've got the bit between my teeth over my patio plantings.  In Au tum last year I bought a Hardy Bamboo, not a great specimen, only one stalk, about 2.5 feet high but with plenty of leaves and healthy looking.  It has stood outside all winter in a very sheltered spot, but is looking sorry for itself.  No signs of new growth.  I have re potted it, but should I feed it, or perhaps chop this one sorry stalk down? 

Not sure....has our winter done for it?  I have never grown bamboos before so am a complete newbie at these.

Thanks for any help at all.

Regards Caro

If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: ..And my Hardy Bamboo (Fargesia Murielie)...is it really hardy?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 17:31:40 »
I've never grown bamboo, but it could well just be looking miserable due to having been so badly stressed over winter. In which casy it'll pick up. Or it sounds as though it's been in a pot, and that could be a problem, as the roots will have been frozen as well as the tops.

Most of my tree paeonies are fine, apart from one in a pot. I thought it was completely dead till I broke a bit off and saw green under the black. I still don't know whether it'll recover.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: ..And my Hardy Bamboo (Fargesia Murielie)...is it really hardy?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 18:13:38 »
A few thoughts -
It has been a cold winter and where I am it's still blummin cold, so it's probably just taking it's time. Most of the stuff in our garden is looking a tad miserable at the moment, and I'm sure with a bit of warmth things will perk up  :)
Does it sucker? If so when it warms up you will see some new shoots.
I find bamboo's pretty indestructable
My other thought is that its often not the cold that kills things but the wet and cold. So some things in pots can rot away. Over the years I've lost more things because of the wet than the cold

Maybe have a firkle and see what's happening

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal