Author Topic: Butternut Squash growing room ?  (Read 4326 times)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Butternut Squash growing room ?
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:09:09 »
I have some saved seed from a Butternut squash that I bought in our local green grocers.
If I manage to get them to grow, how much room can I expect the plant to need?
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Butternut Squash growing room ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:12:49 »
i trailed ours up a support and along the greenhouse roof on rope,i had 4 plants in a 8x6 greenie. plus a few peppers chillis and a watermelon.i did have to hack the plants back every 4 weeks or so just to get in there!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:14:56 »
It depends on how you grow them.
I grew some upwards with the runnerbeans and one along the edges of the raised beds used for the squash's.

I made the mistake of knocking one of the ones growing upwards and the stalk broke, so it only grew to a small ball size(about the size of a softball). The one i had in the raised bed was trained/trimmed to grow along the edge so only took up about 12" wide by 5' long.

Neil

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:16:03 »
Depends as you have the choice to trail on the ground or up and over something.  With a bit of thought you can minimise the space by climbing them over compost bins or sheds.  I try to save space by planting in with toms or sweetcorn and trailing around on the ground to cover bare earth - acts as a good weed cover as well.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:25 »
I put my squashes in on an expectation that they will take a square metre each (about 10 square feet)..... I did climb a butternut up a propped up pallet last yerar to good effect....

chrisc

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 09:35:38 »
Would one of the black florist buckets be big enough to support one plant?
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 13:08:08 »
Would one of the black florist buckets be big enough to support one plant?

Not really unless it was one of the mini-fruited varieties (don't think there is a small butternut, it'd have to be festival, jack be little, baby boo etc) .... problem will be getting enough feed and water to what is basically a hungry thirsty plant.....
you could use this technique perhaps.... http://www.globalbuckets.org/

chrisc

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 13:57:04 »
I have some saved seed from a Butternut squash that I bought in our local green grocers.
If I manage to get them to grow, how much room can I expect the plant to need?

Remember that butternuts grown from saved seed don't always turn out the same as the ones they are saved from.  I use bought seed so I know what to expect, but if you don't mind taking pot luck, then good luck!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 14:43:53 »
Thanks chriscross, I have room in a raised bed still and might be able to use a boarder as well.

Squash64, yes thats partly why i'm going to try and grow them, something totally unexpected could be produced and if it's tasty then all the better  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 21:51:48 »
You might find that you don't need as much space as you think. There are bush butternuts now that don't ramble all over, they grow more like a zuchinni plant. Commercial growers often use them to get more crops in, so don't be surprised if they don't vine.  XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 20:45:09 »
Jeannine do you know which are the bush ones please. Silly question ;). Hope you have/had a lovely anniversary.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal