Author Topic: now I'VE hit the scavenging jackpot  (Read 2395 times)

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
now I'VE hit the scavenging jackpot
« on: March 16, 2010, 19:49:58 »
After my luck last week getting my hands on a constant supply of horse and chicken manure and a cheap, good Rotavator,  the other day i was driving past my local pub round the back there's 10 pallets and  2 glass windows (perfect for a makeshift coldframe).

So we popped in asked about them and the chap said they're all ours :) hubby's going to pick them up tomorrow!

Just got to pop to the garage opposite and ask them if i can liberate some of their blue barrels.

First time allotment holder, second time mum.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: now I'VE hit the scavenging jackpot
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 20:05:11 »
Shy people get no soup.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 21:20:47 »
Have you tried looking on freecycle/freegle its amazing what people give away on there. Ive had a fridge and freezer to put in the garage ready for the summer my daughter got an exercise bike, microwave and dvds/videos.
Also slabs,water butts and wire for the allotment. Someone has even giving away seeds but got plenty of them (i think!)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 02:05:01 »
Slabs, water butt, composting dalek, a big sheet of toughened glass for a coldframe, three wheelbarrows, loads of topsoil, horse manure and a load of builders bags I used as big growbags last year (full of all that topsoil and manure)... all from freecycle...

chrisc

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:54:11 »
When work had finished in our local park I asked for any leftover netting and was given rolls of that orange stuff and lots of those metal posts to keep it up.  Hubby got me some massive rolls of debris netting from our local shopping centre when building work was over.  He also gets Asda's advertising banners once they are out of date.

If you don't ask, you don't get.  ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 14:51:09 »
That was a great day, Le-y!

I think people don't ask each other for things enough these days. People think they have to buy everything. But each time you ask someone to lend or give you something, you've made a link with another human being. And that's apart from the obvious environmental bonus of getting cast-offs.

Plus there's the extra enjoyment of the rarity and good luck of found things. Makes you feel it's a lucky day.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 15:25:24 »
We have a large family occupying 2 plots on our site they always claim poverty there is a matriarch 3 daughters 30 down to 25 and hordes of kids ranging from teens to two all living in a 3 bed cottage and claiming poverty - and they have just had delivered and erected a shed and four deep beds made of old railway sleepers into which they were putting "bought bags of organic horse manure"!!!  As if it doesn't grow round here and they nearly pay you to take it away!!!

But as you say scavenging is much more heartwarming to get a really really good deal.  Sounds like you have done very well - and all in one week!  I reckon you ought to buy a couple of lottery tickets as well!!

O B
 ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal