Author Topic: I wish we'd done that years ago!  (Read 2379 times)

Cruz

• Not So New ...
I wish we'd done that years ago!
« on: March 08, 2010, 21:13:24 »
Currently, we are discussing with our members their ideas for how we can make improvements to our site.
We are looking at infrastructure changes, changes to our constitution and to rules, as well as asking for suggestions on things that we can introduce that would benefit everybody.
I know this is a difficult question to ask, but is there anything you did at your allotment that you think might benefit our allotment? These could be massive things or just very small things, but afterwards you probably said something along the lines of, "I wish we'd done that years ago!"

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: I wish we'd done that years ago!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 21:48:29 »
get rid of those on comittee who are always against something new... ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 22:08:30 »
Actually something small happened last year, which we did repeat again later on...
We hired a skip for members to put some waste metal in...and did we have a fun...
All this weird and wondeful stuff started to appear..some still very useable condition,,all those years hidden in sheds..
Anyway, lots of members started to hang about around the skip foraging  and having a endless chat about some unidentified tools etc.
Admittedly lots of stuff found their way back into somebody else sheds but end of the day we met and spoke with our fellow allotmenteers who we might never had chance to talk, got some treasures, some metal was left to weigh in and society has made some money too.
All together good communal experience.... ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 22:57:10 »
We do that regularly, and it's amazing what gets chucked out. The other day I found a perfectly usable cold frame; all it needs is new glass.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 23:26:30 »
YES YES YES
ooh we don't do it like that
ooh we've never done that
ooh we tried that it didn't work >:(
need I go on ?
sanity is overated

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 09:20:39 »
YES YES YES
ooh we don't do it like that
ooh we've never done that
ooh we tried that it didn't work >:(
need I go on ?

That sound like my work place..."because we've been doing it like that for the last 20years"

Neil

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 12:35:08 »
I agree with goodlife - anything that will get people talking and foster some community spirit. In our case, it's working parties, but skips, plant swaps, BBQs are all good ideas.

A regular newsletter is a good idea too, to keep everyone in touch with what's going on; and if it can include informal stuff like recipes, so much the better.

And I think it's a good thing to improve the look of the site. If it looks good, people will appreciate it and look after it. Get the grass cut, trim the hedges, clear the litter, clean out the ditches.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal