Author Topic: Nematodes  (Read 3432 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Nematodes
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:41:50 »
Hi, I'm planning on using the Nematode slug stuff this year. But my question is when? It keeps for 6 weeks in the fridge (will have to remember to clearly mark it!) so I nee dto work out when to order it. I presume the ground has to be warm enough for it to work. I was thinking around mid April, but is that too early?

Thanks

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Nematodes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:48:46 »
The soil temperature needs to be 5 degrees or warmer.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:51:40 »
A few weeks yet then! Must try and find a cheap thermometer  :)

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 16:11:53 »
Ordered mine from D.T.Brown in November but they dont deliver until April.The second dose is delivered 6 weeks later.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 16:44:02 »
Thanks for that Amazing - I need to check out suppliers for the best deals - I find its always worth looking at a few just to find out the difference in postal charges!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 05:04:35 »
We had a plot holder who tried it some years ago. I do not know if he did it right or not but it did not seem to work out. He thought he had reduced the problem slightly but not significantly.

We were told that for it to be effective, a vast area needs to be worked on, not just a small plot or garden. Or else you just get invaded from a neighbouring area.

If the six weeks is the criteria for the stuff working and you are doing it twice.
It stands to reason that after three months your area is back to normal. 

Let us know how you get on.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:36:20 »
Let us know how you get on.

I will! A fellow plot holder swears by them, I wonder if I'll be just swearing at them !

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 06:54:18 »
I've used nematodes for slugs and vine weevil. I find them really effective if a tad expensive but you do have to repeat the dosage though I don't quite know why. Unless the nematodes run out of fodder when they've done their slug killing job and die themselves. Or maybe they don't survive at very cold temperatures?

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 12:24:57 »
grawrc - the only things I can find which mentions why you keep repeating the dosage is that the nematodes "Stays active in the soil for up to 6 weeks from time of application".  :-\

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 03:39:15 »
For effective control you need to get a high level of the dormant cysts in the soil so that the next passing slugs pick up a big load, die quickly and release more cysts..... I got lucky last year as the wet weather in spring whilst perfect for slugs was just as perfect for the nematodes.... by midsummer my soil must have been utterly impassable to slugs and I saw no sign of damage (or indeed slugs) until the end of the year when I saw a couple of big ones , the spuds were untouched and all my plot neighbours had problems with that .... this year I'll only do the potato patch cos the rest of it isn't particularly slug-prone...

chrisc

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 07:04:37 »
So another thumbs up then  :) I'm hoping by using them my salads and oriental veg will stand a chance!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 07:54:31 »
I've found them useful too...  :)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 20:05:49 »
nema slug seems to work ok  but there is an alternative  its not a quick fix but over time it does work 
decollate snails eat other snails and slugs and have been proven to be effective over time ideal if you are organic
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 01:12:45 »
A pond and some toadspawn is a pretty effective slug control for the overground slugs nemaslug gets the ones underground as long as your lucky....

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal