Author Topic: which climbing/rambling rose?  (Read 10224 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
which climbing/rambling rose?
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:16:50 »
Hello All
So as you know I bought my first house this year (at last) and i have a perfect porch with a raised bed beside it for growing climbers over the door - always been a dream of mine.

I have a couple of dark red clematis such as niobe and ernest markham but what i really want is a climbing rose. The site through is south facing and so this rose might have to deal with relatively dry conditions.

Does anyone have fab climbing roses that they can recomend?

fingers crossed
x sunloving

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: which climbing/rambling rose?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 13:14:06 »
What colour? Do you want a scented rose? Do you like big fancy flowers or lots of small ones? There must be thousands of varieties out there; I've got a rose book two inches thick, with 2-3 varieties per page!

You could try going here http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Search.asp?Theme= and searching for what you want.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 13:16:55 by Robert_Brenchley »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 16:42:19 »
I love Falstaff. It's one of David Austin's too.

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 20:48:59 »
wow that link is great! thankyou and falstaff utterly gorgeous
thankyou both.
x sunloving

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 21:20:46 »
I love the David Austen Roses too. So beautiful they've nearly bankrupted me :) My latest is Teasing Georgia to grow up a rose arch/frame thingy.
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 00:04:19 »
For perfume you can't beat Compassion (pale coppery colour) or Mdm. Alfred Carrier, but the latter grows very big.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 12:44:02 »
I Looove roses...I have Rambling Rector next to my back door....Such a lovely smell in the air when it flowers, white single flowers and bees like it too ;D...so double benefit, not just for the looks...that's me ;)

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 14:07:37 »
Another vote for Compassion! Lovely, peachy flowers - almost as big as hybrid teas - and the most exquisite perfume!

Mine is just outside my back door - (which is always open in the nicer weather) -  and the scent is a delight!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 14:13:55 »
I have Rambling Rector
A bit too vigorous for next to a door isn't it?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 15:08:07 »
Just ducking in to say thanks for the link Robert. Now got great hopes of identifying a rose I took cuttings from once.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 20:18:47 »

A bit too vigorous for next to a door isn't it?
[/quote]
It would be if it were growing in ground, but as it is planted in large tub it doesn't grow for the full potential...not much more than any other climber or ramble... ;D ...and I'm a bit keen with secateurs... :-[

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 22:15:58 »
Goldfinch is a small but prolific climber with beautiful flowers than bud up buff, open as soft yellow and fade to white. I grow it with Gloire de Dijon which has the most wonderful fragrance, and two purple small flowering clematis over an arch...

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 19:26:52 »
wow how lovely!
and just a perfect vision of a warm summers day!
warms the cockles

x sunloving

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 20:22:11 »
Deb, what a truly fab. picture! Just love it :-*

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 13:54:24 »
what an idyllic picture - that sums up my dream garden - sunshine, feels hidden, secret, abundant and romantic.

What a lovely plant for you to be choosing, sunloving. I would also really love a rose round our door, but our front garden's been tarmacced, and we want to have it dug up when we get the money, so I think I'll wait till then for a really long-term climber.

When I was thinking about getting one for a tub, I liked
rosa new dawn http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/roses/climber-rose/climbers/climbing-roses/rosa-the-new-dawn/classid.77913/, and
rosa climbing iceberg http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/roses/climber-rose/climbers/climbing-roses/rosa-climbing-iceberg/classid.1181/(I'm not sure whether it's a special climbing one, or just that iceberg can either be grown as a bush or a climber, I've read both)

Those were ones which do okay in a container, according to my research!

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 17:46:44 »
Thankyou pigeon seed for the links they are lovely ones to!

I had the same probelm when i rented a house, i found that the raised bed kits especially the plastic ones are really great for solving the problem and in fact at the back door i have a triple decker sitting on tarmac with old compost bags between the soil and ground ,thats three feet tall (made of three kits ) You do have to keep an eye on them in very dry periods but they do really well and you can control the environment . Mine is for growing my blueberries in acid conditions, they are great for carrots and parsnips for the same reason especially if you have clay or stony soil and they are a foot high so they are not so bothered by carrot fly.

summer dreams !
x sunloving

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 21:19:15 »
That sounds great - it's definitely an option for making the best of the garden. Thanks for the tip!

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 22:13:05 »
Iceberg is a blackspot magnet. Have a look at Ghislaine de Feligonde. Not only is it tough healthy and manageable, it repeat blooms, smells lovely and has a hugely romantic story regarding the name of the rose. Also, a bonus is very beautiful foliage. Or, a bit of a cliche, but Madame Alfred carrier is a beautiful white noisette. Roses are very climate specific and require sun and water. If you cannot satisfy these requirements, roses will struggle. Austin roses, in my opinion, do not make good climbers (great bushes though).
For fragrance, a lovely repeating, thornless rose is Zephirine Drouhin or it's sport, Kathleen Harrop - gorgeous bourbons which will also do OK on a North wall (as will MAC).
Most of the ramblers tend to be huge and not repeat flowering. Take a look at polyanthas. If you like singles, Frances E Lester is lovely. try to go for flexible stems as training is much easier. (GdeF). You can look for roses on Helpmefind or checkout the antique roses forum on Gardenweb

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 09:59:27 »
 :could I grow a rose Luke these on a north/east wall or do they need full sun? Into veggies a lack of knowledge on roses etc
thanks in anticipation

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 21:46:12 »
oh yes,  there are several roses which will tolerate a north facing wall. Zephirine Drouhin, Madame Alfred carriere, New Dawn are all climbers. If you want a shrub rose, there is a class called hybrid musks (Penelope, Felicity, Prosperity et al) which will be OK with some shade. Also, there are a few interesting species such as Rosa Woodsii Fendleri, Rosa gymnocarpa.
Some roses are suitable for growing in containers as long as they are given enough water and nutrients several times throughout the season, roses are surprisingly tough, long-lived and vigorous plants.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal