Author Topic: Smokeless zones & multi fuel stoves  (Read 8378 times)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
Re: Smokeless zones & multi fuel stoves
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 08:57:56 »
Greenthing - no outside wall free in house, so combi will be in attic like most in this area. Will be remote controlled so not a problem (says she hopefully!)

Gen in NBL
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 15:37:21 »
Are they much bother to clean and run?

Nick, not everyone has access to joinery grade wood to burn, the rest of us get logs delivered, which can vary from load to load, but generally are fine if you find a decent supplier. As to cleaning, this might help http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,55863.0.html
But otherwise no real fuss!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 16:19:25 »
Cheers 1066 and TonyBloke..
Don't think I can afford one this year so I'll have to save up for next Winter!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Torreya

• Not So New ...
    • Ashfurlong Walled Kitchen Garden
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 13:00:04 »
So I can't burn my shredded tyres? Drat and darn it!!

Just an aside, there is a difference between woodburner and multi-fuel.  Woodburners need a bed of ash,   multi-fuel (as with open fires) need an airflow underneath e.g. a grate.

Hope you find one on freegle, there's never anything like it on my local (Brum and Tamworth) ones.  There have been a few reasonably-priced ones on ebay recently, but it's like everything else, never one when you need it!!

Best of luck anyway!

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 16:14:02 »
In a smokeless zone any solid fuel stove in use must be certified as 'exempt'. This means you must by a model of stove that has passed various emissions test. Here is the current list of exempt stove models and makes:
http://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/appliances.php?country=e

These have a secondary combustion system which ensures smoke and soot is almost completely burnt rather than going up the flue.

Additionally, the installation details and flue design must meet building control standards. The flue must be insulated so that the flue gasses stay hot and do not condense. A normal brick chimney does not comply, and will give you serious problems with sooting, because it is too big a volume for the flue gasses to heat up properly. You are supposed to inform building control so that they can check the details, but in practice you can do the work (ensuring it meets standards), then if the Council does find out about it, they will have no problem with it.
I found this company helpful when I installed a stove 2 years ago. This links to their page explaining how you should line your chimney:
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/lining_a_chimney.html
I bought all parts from them and installed everything myself. Warning, putting in the flue liner is not easy!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal