Author Topic: getting back into it  (Read 828 times)

hippi chic

getting back into it
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:01:24 »
Hi All
I have a lottie and have done for a while now about 2 years i think when i first got it i almost lived on it but then i went self employed and work became the main importance but now that its sort of sorted i have found that i have some spare time so I'm thinking of getting back in to my lottie again just have one question can i use weed killer on a bit of the lottie that i am going to use as a flower bed? I'm thinking i can but want to make sure sorry if it seems silly to ask

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: getting back into it
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:13:39 »
Welcome to A4A hippi chic!

Yes you can use a weedkiller to clear a bit of ground.  Roundup and the like have to be sprayed/painted on to the leaves to be effective. Any residues in the soil wont "kill" your subsequent flowers although we have had debates here in the past about possible environmental damage caused by spraying!!
However I would personally try a manual approach - depending on the weeds - digging/covering etc but that is just a personal thing.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

hippi chic

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:24:33 »
Thanks didn't really want to use weed killer but oh is slabbing the front garden and i have some plants in that i want to keep so thought i would take them down the lottie and make use of them there

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:04:54 »
Yes you can use a weedkiller to clear a bit of ground.  Roundup and the like

Agreed!

But I think it is a bit early yet. If your weeds are not growing they won't take the weedkiller in!

So you might be wasting time & money!

Wait until you see new growth on your weeds.

On no account use Sodium Chlorate or that is the end of your growing season for this year! certainly for six months at least.

BTW SC is banned from this year  :-\

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 08:09:32 »
Hi HippiChick and welcome to A4A  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal