Author Topic: Chilli's under lights  (Read 8761 times)

loulu

• Not So New ...
Re: Chilli's under lights
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 17:04:46 »
Glen,

Good plan!

I wish I'd started a bit earlier. Just bought myself a heated propagator to start them off - I hear they can take a long time to germinate. I hope not too long!

Loulu

Glen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 09:44:24 »
Hi Loulu,

It depends on what variety they are. Most of mine were up within the first 2 weeks. However some of the hotter varieties have taken as long as 6 to 7 weeks.

good luck.

glen.

loulu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 14:15:15 »
Hi Glen

What varieties are you growing? I am going to try (still waiting for my seeds) Scoth Bonnet, Hungarian Hot Wax, Black Hungarian, Hungarian Carrot, and Cyklon I think that's what I ordered anyway  :)

Glen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 11:54:12 »
Hi Loulu,

I am growing:
Early Jalapeno
NewMex Twilight
NewMex Pinata
Super chilli
Ring of Fire
Tabassco
Red Skin
Cayenne
Piaire Fire - Not been able to get any to germinate yet

I hope these will keep me going through the summer!  ;D

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 12:57:31 »
I experimented with a warm south facing windowsill and put the seeds in first week of Feb. Even though at night it must get quite cool, if not downright cold, the Cayenne& Jalapeno and Peppers (Yolo Wonder and California) have finally started to sprout. I don't have a heated propagator and the hot press is too full of the aubergine seeds which are far more important so needs must and they are coming up finally after 6 weeks.

The cayenne and Yolo are coming up faster than the jalapeno and Califonia.
St Leonard's on Sea

loulu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 17:09:33 »
I wish I had a south facing window Wilder!

I have bought a mega cheap heated propagator to try it out. Also bought a thermometer to check out temp in the room I am going to grow them in - temp not too bad actually which surprises me.

I've got several things on the go now - even trying to grow Lavender from seed, not sure if that will work out or not. 

Glen, sounds like you may be stocked up for the summer!!!!

I'm still waiting on my seeds....been a while now. I am getting impatient  ;D ;D

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 20:06:15 »

I have bought a mega cheap heated propagator to try it out.

Be aware that propagators without thermostats can get to drying (or even cooking) temps as soon as we get a normal spring day for this time of year - it's best to keep a max-min thermometer in there and at some point turn the power off during the day (timer switches are cheap and very useful).

In a few weeks time any propagator anywhere (except a north window) can reach cooking temps within an hour of getting direct sun (even ones with a thermostat) - at this point you will wish they had an automatic vent to lift the whole lid! (NB. it can be done).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

loulu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 07:22:11 »
Thanks Vinlander,

I didn't know that. Temperatures here have dropped again but I will certainly take measures once the weather improves.

It's not easy this growing from seed business is it?

I am new to this though, so please bear with me  :)

Loulu

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 09:14:04 »
I've just germinated cherry bomb, ring of fire and naga jolokia in my airing cupboard.  Took just over a week.  Whipped them out into a south facing room as soon as they'd sprouted so they could green up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal