Author Topic: Shortlist nightmares  (Read 2942 times)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Shortlist nightmares
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:33:07 »
Last night in anticipation of the new season - sorted out my sowing schedule in earnest.

Fine for everything else as seem to have clear cut decisions - but the usual nightmare when it comes to the squash. So far I have a shortlist of 19 varieties of winter squash I want to grow this year (was going to be strict but ChrisCross sent me a few new ones to try the Squash and Exotics swop), plus 7 varieties of summer squash. I have to whittle this down to a max of 12 of the winter ones and 5 of the summer ones.

Not too bad you say but its taken me all winter to get down to the original shortlist! Oh well I can procrastinate for a couple of months I suppose. Getting a headache already.  ::)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Shortlist nightmares
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:34:46 »
I know exactly what you mean - I've yet to make a shortlist - how's that for procrastination  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 13:46:59 »
Shortlist!!   :o

Oh dear my list is not very short at all.  The only thing my list is short of is enough space to grow them all.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 14:16:57 »
I've had to up my expected space usage for summer and winter squashes, courgettes, gherkins and cucumbers from 35 to 50 square metres and then had to pull the summer squash, courgettes, gherkins and cucmbers out... and raise it to probably 60 square metres, maybe 70........

My shortlist, as 1066 pointed out, is no longer short.......

chrisc

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 15:04:36 »
I wasn't including courgettes, summer squash or cucs in my long list let alone short. That's another problem  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 15:27:51 »
I have "Cucurbits" as a major section in my rotation

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 15:34:19 »
Why restrict yourself? ;D I use compost bins, space between sweetcorn and any areas freed up in early summer from crops such as garlic and overwintered shallots as planting areas for squashes. I also use pea and bean frames for squashes to either ramble over after early peas are harvested, or grow courgettes beneath, they like a bit of shade in midsummer. You can always squash another squash in somewhere! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 19:08:22 »
I have to admit that most of my paths disappeared last year.  Every possible space had a squash growing in it. 

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 20:25:34 »
I remember a time long ago when I had paths...... :-\

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 21:04:26 »
Oh golly, what laugh. Up till last  year I had two huge lotties one one just for my squash and I grew 85 varieties the year before that, and that was only a slice of what I have!! Now I am sitting with crossed fingers,and everything else,waiting for conformation that I have my Canadaian lottie which is about as big as my living room LOL. I am so very envious of you all. I am going to have to donate my seed varieties to somewhere I think. At my age and with the ground potential I have no chance of growing even 1% of them.

Wishing you all a wonderful season...pictures please.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 06:55:33 »
I grew 85 varieties the year before that
XX Jeannine

85 varieties !! Then what am I worrying about, I'm a mere debutante  :D
And yes every bit of space will be used - one of my paths is a communal path but is only used by me and the next door plotholder (who I only see once in a blue moon and he doesn't actually seem to grow anything  :-X ) so I already have that space in mind.......

;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 22:16:48 »
I have to say Jeannine some of the varieties that I grow now originate fromn you and the swop you came to at barnsdale. I particularly like the Bush Buttercup as it is so well mannered and behaves - I buy the seeds from Baker Creek now. I also have a few of the "really big butternut hybrid" from you as well.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 08:02:20 »
Thank you Suzanne XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal