Author Topic: Aldi Plum  (Read 1758 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Aldi Plum
« on: February 25, 2010, 20:32:50 »
Has anyone bought an Aldi plum tree?  I need to find out which rootstock they have used as I have a second trunk growing form the bottom which has spikes like a sloe!!!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Aldi Plum
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 20:48:41 »
That'll be growing from the rootstock. Cut it right off or it's liable to take over.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 20:52:34 »
It is definitely going to be chopped off  - can I do it now or should I wait until late spring when I prune the plum?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 21:36:41 »
I'd take it straight off, but then I prune plums in winter. You can wait if you'd rather.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 22:38:23 »
Thanks - that's what I will do - can't think why I  hadn't noticed it before :o

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:11:48 »
Hi Tin Shed.
Notice we are both in Essex.  :) How long ago did you buy the tree? Funnily enough, I went to Aldi yesterday and saw the Victoria Plum trees and was tempted. Just wondered how long it has taken for the extra trunk to grow?
JB

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:24:58 »
Hi Jeanbean - I think I got the plum about three years ago, together witha morello cherry. The cherry has produced a wonderful crop from the beginning, but the plum has taken its time - only one plum last summer!
I think the extra trunk must have been there for at least a year - I am just amazed that I hadn't noticed it before and removed it!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 22:41:50 »
I had one in a pot until last year, it also sprouted from the rootstock exactly the same as yours! Sadly I neglected it over the summer (it got stuck in a corner where I forgot to water it  :-[) and I lost it entirely.... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal