Author Topic: Runner beans - planting time to harvest time  (Read 1179 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Runner beans - planting time to harvest time
« on: February 26, 2010, 18:42:21 »
My annual holiday has been booked with a return date of 4th July. When do you think I should plant runner beans to ensure they haven't matured before I get back, but to be able to start picking asap after I've got back.

I look forward to your advice.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Runner beans - planting time to harvest time
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 18:49:40 »
Middle of June?.... They shoudl grow liek rockets but I can't see them cropping in just six weeks shurely?

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 19:06:05 »
I'd put them out at the end of May or the beginning of June, depending on the weather.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 19:38:39 »
They're usually sown outdoors from late May to mid June,  and the approximate time between sowing and picking is 12 to 14 weeks.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 20:14:51 »
I've had more success with beans by starting them in pots.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 20:35:10 »
I find it quite a challenge to get beans at the beginning of July.   I put a few of mine out beginning in may (depending on weather) Grown in pots and I then cover  the whole wigwam in cling film which would come off middle June depending on the weather.  You need a second set of canes to hold teh plastic awau from the beans and give them space to climb.   It is a bit of a gamble either the beans get frosted or overheated.  If you are really lucky you might get beans at the beginning of July.  Trouble is also there are very few bumble bees around so they do not set very well either.   I am hoping the new bean Moonlight being self fertile might solve this.  Also being self fertile they should set under cover.  So hope to get some in greenhouse.

Some climbing french are a little quicker and dwarf ones are easier to cloche up.  And there is no bee issue.

I have also grown dwarf runners in pots and then put them outside.  It is quite good to have a large cardboard pot which you can then just bury.  You could put them out just before your holiday and hopefully get s few beans when you return if you are ultra lucky.  I have had to give up on this due to a slug problem.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 22:18:34 »
I've had more success with beans by starting them in pots.

I'm a start in a pot person too. Plant a few more than you need to cover for the odd failure.  Any
excesses pass them on to friends and neighbours, plot or home  ;)

But a July crop is a big ask!

Ninny

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 22:21:16 by Ninnyscrops. »

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 08:59:42 »
Thanks for all the comments.

I just wanted to make sure they weren't maturing whilst I was on holiday. From what you've said, there is little chance of that anyway!

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 09:56:57 »
I managed to get beans the first week in July last year. Was very pleased!! I start mine in root trainers or loo rolls. Planted out mid - late May. Covered with double thickness of fleece held on to canes by clothes pegs and garden twist. Mind you we were lucky with the weather here in East Anglia last year. It was a white variety, saved seed given to me by lottie neighbour, which produced earliest and also cropped the longest (grew 4 varieties.)
Can remember my Dad always trying to grow earliest possible runners it must be in my genes!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal