Author Topic: My first alloment!  (Read 5708 times)

detailista

• Half Acre
Re: My first alloment!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 09:01:10 »
Hi Greenfreek,

Congratulations :)  Welcome to A4A.  :D I got my allotment last autumn and have learnt more from here than from all the gardening books I borrowed from the library.

Sounds like you've made great progress. Look forward to seeing some photos of your lottie in your flickr stream!  Will add you as a friend later, if that's ok :)

hayden

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 22:09:54 »
  hi i have just got my first allotment 2 weeks ago i have always wanted to grow my own veg cant wait but every time i try to work on it it kepts snowing

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 22:12:01 »
Enjoy your new allotment,such an exciting time when you first start. :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 22:42:04 »
Congratulations on the plots Hayden and Greenfreek - its a wonderful feeling isn't it  ;D where about are your respective plots? And remember to take lots of photos - it's great to see the before and after stuff (plus we're a right nosey bunch  ;)  :D )

Happy gardening

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 23:51:16 »
Welcome to A4A Hayden...  :)

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 10:29:56 »
Hi to all you new peeps     i think we are around our 14th year   still making mistakes and trying new things   keeps the other plot holders amused  last years big mistake was peanuts   fun for the grand kids    not when they don't grow   2 years ago it was kale   brill stuff  no pests touch it  it seems to stand in the ground forever   but we made the mistake of eating to much of it with our meal  and spent a long time in the bathroom  for a couple of days

I know you will all have a great time on your plots  just the right time for one  at first we thought how will we work it all and fill it    couple of years up the road  your adding little extra beds and  growing tubs where there is no room for them  GREAT FUN 

christine77

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 15:06:34 »
Congratulations on getting your plot, we have just completed out first year and both agree its the best thing we have done. It's hard work but so rewarding, we have made friends with some lovely people, makes you realise the community spirit is still out there.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 15:52:50 »
Welcome to A4A Christine77  :)

And yes the community spirit is alive and well. I have friends who grow their fruit and veg at home but still like to come and visit me and my plot so they can have a good nose around and see what everyone else is up to and how they grow stuff.
Great feeling isn't it!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 17:36:42 »
Hello and welcome Hayden, you certainly got your plot at good time  :)

Hello to Christine77 and welcome too  :)  What a lovely sounding site you are on.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

greenfreek

• Not So New ...
    • My Confessions Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 20:43:48 »
so its a been a couple of months now... starting really well.
Got lots planted already.... Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Strawberries, Sprouts, Sunflowers, Rhubarb, Peas, Carrots and Spuds. All going well. need to get a hole dug for my pond so i can get my little eco-system going! Yay

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 21:06:32 »
sounds good

i want a pool myself to help keep down the slugs and flies,youve got me thinking and planning now lol  ;D

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 21:45:12 »
My friend and I were given a third of a plot in January (she's the official partner and I'm her helper!)
It's been covered in plastic and carpet for four years, and the plot holder very kindly removed all of that for us, revealing nice clean ground that we've managed to dig over, making seven beds aprox. 17ft X 4ft.  It's so exciting to see it all ready to be made into "fine tilth" and plan what we're going to grow.  I've got lots of seedlings in the conservatory all waitng for the right time, and have manured the potato plot ready for them to go in when the ground's a bit drier.  Tomorrow we're hoping to get some plastic boards down as edging (scavenged from a skip), and we've started to fill our manure bunker.  I've learnt loads by coming on here, and enjoy my daily A4A fix!

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 17:18:14 »
sounds good

i want a pool myself to help keep down the slugs and flies,youve got me thinking and planning now lol  ;D

Snap!! We've been given an old water tank, just need to dig the hole now and then figure out what to do after that  ::)

Its great to hear everyone's enjoying their plots  :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 18:26:29 »
Is there anything you can paint inside water tanks to extend their life? I have three, but they don't last forever.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2010, 09:40:29 »
good question robert, I'm going to sit back and see what the answers are ......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal