Author Topic: Elderflower Champagne  (Read 10134 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Elderflower Champagne
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:57:12 »
Hi,

I'm planning on making some this year. It will be the first time i have tried anything like this so thought i would try something simple !!!. I have found a few recipes online but was wondering if anyone has a tried and tested recipe on A4A.

Also what bottles to use some say plastic some say glass. If it is glass where would you recommend getting them from.

Thanks Lucy x

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Re: Elderflower Champagne
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:26:19 »
I saw some filp top stopper glass bottles in ikea do you think they will work? They are 1.99 a bottle but are a fair size?

Lucy x

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 21:04:20 »
MB

I am planning to try Elderflower champers for the first time this year - all the websites I have read are categorical on one point - DO NOT use glass bottles.

Apparently the EF's can get a bit exuberant during fermentation and from those that know, cleaning upexploded sticky half fermented booze is not a nice job, particularly if the explosion happens in the cupboard under the stairs :o :o

Recyle 2 litre plastic bottles - not as pretty but a lot less work...

Do you fancy having a virtual tasting session later in the year??

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 22:38:43 »
Hi MB

I agree with SMP you are best using 2litre lemonade bottles for elderflower champagne as they should be designed to cope with the gas, I have not made it but have read it numerous times.  I am always full of good intentions and save the bottles but actually miss the chance to do it as I am always so busy at the right time......hopefully this year, fingers crossed!

T.

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 15:29:12 »
I saw some filp top stopper glass bottles in ikea do you think they will work?

We tried those but with mixed success. On some the washer does not fit tightly enough so allowing the champagne to develop a dry flavour and not so violently sparkling! We have broken them on opening although I think that was one bottle of nettle ale and one of elderflower. Discharging the gas by judicious use of the thumb seems to be the key when opening although none has burst in storage.

OC

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 15:50:42 »
My mother has a good recipe but is away spending my inheritance but will post when she is back .Virtual  tasting sounds good,can I join in?

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 21:34:31 »
The more the merrier ;D ;D

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:25:16 »
Thanks all  ;D

I will start collecting the lemonade bottles in preparation ;D virtual tasting session sounds like a great idea  ;D
Looking forward to it already  ;D

Lucy x

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 10:20:44 »
Mother back so hope to post recipe at the weekend,I know it is early  but I really do want to make the effort this year - bit like the
Beaujolais Nouveau run.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 11:59:09 »
I have made the wine several times and the champagne is just another step on from the straightforward wine.  I believe it is a combination of yeast and sugar and then leave it to its doing!

I would suppest second hand champagne/cava bottles you can buy the corks and cages from winemaking shops.

I used ex plastic milk bottles but they weren't completely airtight. 

I didn't make any last year but intend to this year.  I prefer the wine and then you can add lemonade for a fizzy drink!

Good luck - look forward to the virtual tasting!

O B

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 21:45:54 »

Yummmmmmmy. I love it...

Also if you make a little Elderberry syrup that is delic' on strawberry's
 or some flowers in strawberry jam when you make it...... qahtan

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 19:21:34 »
only got 1 bottle left of our elderflower cordial, can't wait for the flowering, it's lasted all year in the freezer  ;D
don't do alcohol too much so this, mixed with ice and sparkling water is brill

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 10:03:47 »
I make this, if you use fresh elderflowers you don't need to add yeast as the have their own. I can give you the recipe if you still need it, the only thing that i would add is that you need to drink it within a about a fortnight as it becomes too gasy/explosive ;D

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 11:26:46 »
Hi,

I would love to see your recipe there is quite a few variations  ;D I have had an idea of something else you could use to bottle up into. Water carriers the type you use when camping with the tap at the bottom. I'm thinking plastic wine box  ;D

You would be able to burp the bottle when needed it holds more so no need to collect lots of bottles and they collapse flat so doesn't take up much room!

what do you think?

Lucy

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 09:25:03 »

This is the recipe I shall use-
2 Heads of elderflower
1 1/2 lb White sugar
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 Gallon of water
1 Lemon

Pick heads when in full bloom place in a large container along with lemon juice and rind -sugar and vinegar
add cold water and leave for 24 hours,strain and bottle( see above )
Should be ready in two weeks.

Do you think time of day that elderflowers are picked might make a difference to taste? Maybe two batches are in order!

Sexki11en

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 20:46:25 »
Ohhhhh I'll join in here if that's OK. 

I fully intended to do it last year.  There was a ready supply of Elderflowers outside my front door for ages, but by the time I got my backside in gear, they'd all died  >:(

I'm going to try HFW's recipe.  It looked easy enough hen he did it on River Cottage.

Can you really only keep it for 2 weeks?  I was hoping to make enough to last through the summer?

SK x

absolutebeginner

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 20:55:39 »
mmmm all sounds yummy, can't wait to hear how you all get on  :)

books

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 17:01:54 »

Can you really only keep it for 2 weeks?  I was hoping to make enough to last through the summer?

SK x

Will be doing elderflower champange this year for the first time
I dont see why only two weeks as long as you keep it cold and off some gas every now and then should be ok, (I do this with ginger beer keeps for ages)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 18:31:13 »
We did the no yeast recipe & always used screw top beer flagons. No problem until No1 Son decided to add yeast to one brew!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 14:17:36 »
The elderflowers are starting to bloom, I think they will be just right by Saturday - let the champagne brewing begin......... ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal