Author Topic: Are leeks better thick or thin?  (Read 1929 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Are leeks better thick or thin?
« on: February 19, 2010, 08:44:58 »
I grew medium leeks last year, it was just the way they turned out.  But lots of people had much thicker ones.  The thicker ones stood up to the winter better, literally.  But taste wise which are best?  Often with veg bigger is not better.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: Are leeks better thick or thin?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:37:27 »
I think most of the flavour is in the white bits, so bigger would be best.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:37:55 »

Or longer. Dib them deeper!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 10:42:52 »
I can't tell any difference between leeks I havested earlier when they were thinner, and later ones when they had fatterned up, so I would say the fatter the better.

All my leeks stood well during the winter, both thin and fat, but I am in the south and on a heavy soil.

Never tried them as mini leeks, about the size when you plant them out to their final spacing, maybe I should try a few this year instead of giving my spares away.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:49:29 »
I'm afraid I only got to get thin uns last year but very nice they are. Bleu de solaise from real seeds. Very hardy too. We are still pulling some
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:18:09 »
I don't like leeks and I don't get much feedback from my daughter or husband.  I dibbed mine in really deep so they were very long, and quite a lot fell over all of the musselburgh.  

I'm in the middle of England and being a long way from the sea we get hard frosts when it gets very cold.  Though compared with Scotland things have been quite warm.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 00:21:13 »
Everything else being nearly equal (we're talking leeks after all - they are all good) I like the blue ones - solaise and St.Victor - they go a fantastic shade of blue/violet in winter.

I find it cheering - like a flower opening on the darkest day.

On a non-edible note, the leaves of the marginal/water iris 'Gerald Darby' go exactly the same colour in spring just before it flowers spectacularly.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal