Author Topic: What Should I Do?  (Read 2593 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
What Should I Do?
« on: February 17, 2010, 20:17:31 »
I damaged the ligaments in both my ankles two months ago today and they haven't got any better, I'm now worried that I can't do anything on my allotment and I could be the same for months, what would you do?

betula

• Hectare
Re: What Should I Do?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 20:27:45 »
Can you get any friends or familyto help you till you are recovered ?

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 20:42:03 »
Sorry to hear that Mick - dont be tempted to to do anything you know you shouldnt as it will only delay your recovery. 

Best thing to do is try and get friends/family to help out where they can and accept that you may not be able to do all the things you may have planned to do on the allotment.  You could maybe just do the easy stuff of starting a few things off in pots etc and leave the digging to others.

If you give yourself time to recover properly you will be able to catch up with the growing am sure.

Take Care - hope you improve soon, nothing worse than not being able to get out there and do the things you know are needing done !

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 21:19:06 »
do what I'v done and let the lotty people know there is a bit of a problem and you are trying your best to keep it tidy. ours make 3 inspections a year, 3 letters and your out but they understand if they know that there is a problem and make allowances
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 21:25:03 »
yes I agree with Marg. When we know that someone has a problem we'll usually set up work parties to keep their plot ticking along.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 21:25:34 »
Sorry to hear things are not going well but can only echo what others have said. Please take care

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 21:30:08 »
Might be the time to teach Nik a few gardening skills?  ;)  ;D  ;D ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:01:30 »
If your plot becomes overgrown and nobody is aware of your circumstances they may try to evict you.  Speak to whoever runs your site and inform them of the situation and follow it up in writing.  I would also try to get some friends to help cover the plot to prevent weed growth so you do not return to full health and to a jungle...... 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 09:51:52 »
Thanks guys, I don't have anyone willing to lend a hand so I'll contact the secretary and let him know whats going on.

Georgie, I'm seeking Nik in Holmfirth and Manchester this weekend so I'll see if he'll help out.  ;)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 18:20:33 »
Maybe there is someone on the waiting list who would be willing to help out,in exchange for some produce- and lots of expert advice from you!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 20:07:58 »
Hi Sorry to hear that your healing is slow, must be really annoying but dont ruin it by trying to do things to soon.

If you have empty beds get some weedproof fabric on it so that even if you cant grow neither can the weeds.

Think about sowing a green manure or some kind of crop that you just sow direct that will grow fast thats reliable such as early peas , ive grown potatoes before just by putting them on the surface then putting compost on top from the bag when i just cant dig becuase of a bad back and they were fine.They will shade out all but the most determined weeds.

good luck and time will pass and you will heal and come may june hopefully youll be back in the swing of things

x sunloving

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 22:45:32 »
Sorry to hear you haven't been too well - ligaments can take a loooong time to heel, so take it easy. I did some damage to my knee last year and boy did it take a while (and that was with physio). I think sunlovings suggestion of covering is a good one - and you can always plant through plastic, weed suppressant or even carboard / newspapers, that way the weeds won''t grown but you'll be able to get some veg growing at the same time

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 15:42:14 »
GWS Mickyboy.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 16:16:13 »
I agree with letting the folks who run the site know.A couple of years ago a lady,on our site had hip replacements and although we didn't know her very well my OH rotovated her plot and we put her spuds in,someone else put her beans in another chap weeded and kept it tidy.She's back to full strength now and doing it herself again.I bet there would be plenty of folk who'd lend a hand perhaps you could repay favours when your fit again.Kate the lady in question said she'd never be able to repay all the help but as I pointed out(having got to know her by now)I've no doubt she's done plenty of favours for others in the past and what goes around comes around.
Get Well soon Mick
Hey are you the Mick who gave up smoking?if so how's it going :)
sanity is overated

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 17:24:53 »
Hope you soon get things sorted Mick and sorry you haven't been well
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 21:31:30 »
Macmac, yes I am the Mick that gave up smoking and it went/ is going very well.  :)

I have contacted the chap in charge and he won't let the next on the waiting list do anything without them taking over for good.

Re the people that said I should sow green manure etc...sadly that isn't possible because I can't stand for more than a few minutes and wouldn't be able to move on soil.

I had x-rays last Monday and get the results back Monday, I'm amazed that in this day and age it takes two weeks to get your x-ray results back and I'm more amazed that I was left in so much pain for two months before being given them but at least I should know whats going on soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal