Author Topic: Sacriston Allotment Association Waiting List  (Read 7473 times)

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Sacriston Allotment Association Waiting List
« on: March 24, 2008, 22:32:36 »
Hello all,

I haven't been around for some time - what with springtime work needed on the lottie, a new job and also now that I'm the Treasurer as well as secretary for our lottie association I'm a lot busier than I used to be!!

Anyhooo,  I just thought I'd let you all know that the waiting list for our association is now only 9 people and reducing rapidly so if anyone is near Sacriston in Durham and is looking for a plot let me know!  ;D
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Sacriston Allotment Association Waiting List
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 22:57:17 »
I am really surprised it is so low Suzi. Have you tried holding an event to attract attention or advertised in the local press? In our site in Whitley Bay we have 140 on our list, that is almost as many as we have plots. Hope you have a sudden influx once the better weather arrives. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 23:03:32 »
I'm surprised too - I'm in Gateshead and had to wait a year for my plot and they seem to be in pretty big demand here.
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 23:05:47 »
Good going there matey.  We have about 20 on our waiting lists here in Guisborough. Waiting time is currently about 10 months.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 23:23:44 »
well 9 is the most we have had for some time, so I didn't want to push it, but I agree that a bit of advertising and a bigger waiting list might 'encourage' some of the one's who don't do as much as they could to take on a new lease of life!!   ;D
SnooziSuzi

manicmum

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 23:14:18 »
can i ask are your members allowed to see the waiting list if they ask or is it kept under wraps is there a policy about this thanks bobbie

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 23:32:17 »
Hi Bobbi,   yes, our members can see the list at any time - I just need to run a fresh copy from the database that I hold.

There's no policy written down as such, simply if someone wants to know they can just ask!  ;D
SnooziSuzi

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 23:33:28 »
I ought to add that because this list has personal data in it I can't make it publicly available though....  :o

Were you thinking of joining us?  ;D
SnooziSuzi

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 08:52:01 »
In our area - Ruislip/Northwood, in Middlesex - all the sites have a waiting list. I don't know how long they are on the Council sites, but we're the only independent site. We've opened up several new plots this season and our waiting list is currently five, but I've had at least one query per week since Christmas (4 in 2 days last week!).

And it does encourage existing members - our site is a real hive of activity at the moment!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 21:59:04 »
I have allotments in a fairly neglected meadow mostly un-used, and am really pleased that about 4 new plots have been rented and are energetically worked. Battle, East Sussex. There cannot be a waiting list, as the site is almost empty apart from the 6 or 7 sites being actively worked.

I am surprised, as just about every newspaper and magazine has started to have articles on allotments and it seems very much the current craze.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 22:02:40 »
Hi Manicmum/ Bobbie. Welcome to the site if you haven't posted elsewhere and I missed it. We have a permanent list on the shed, DebP is in her element as after a two year wait she has risen to the top again, and got the plot next to her current one!!  8)

kevc

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 15:14:41 »
Hi,

How do i go about applying for an allotment at Crosslane?
The County Council directed me to the Parish Council who directed me to the Allotements Asscociation but i can't find any contact details anywhere????   :(

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 15:22:56 »
Sorry I can't help with your query, just wanted to welcome you to A4A. I'm sure some knowledgeable person will be along shortly to help out  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 09:46:33 »
Welcome Kevc
Have you tried going over to the site and asking any of the plotholders how they put their name on the list? They should also know the name of the site manager if there is one and perhaps a contact phone number. Other than that if you can't find anyone on the site is there a notice board on which you could leave a contact mobile number to ask who is in charge to contact you? May take a while as not everyone goes over their plot at this time of year. Hope it is of some use.
JB

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 23:10:50 »
Hi all,

long time no posts on here... have discovered facebook and basically my life isn't my own any more!

I have replied to kevc in a PM but just to let anyone else who is interested know that I am 'retiring' from the committee at the end of Feb 2010 and I don't know who will be taking over. 

THe usual route to get an allotment anywhere in Durham is to ring Durham County Council on 0300 123 7070 and ask for the allotments officer in the area you are interested in.  They will then give you the number of the secretary for the area of your choice and it goes from there.

FYI: our waiting list is up to 24 now, plus 10 from out of the area who must wait until all local people have been offered and have refused an allotment before they can be offered.  This decision was taken because people were asking for plots from other areas that had allotments and should be on their local lists where they are more likely to accept a plot.

Happy gardening!
Su
SnooziSuzi

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 08:29:35 »
Don't know your area kev, so I can't help there - but if you can't get anywhere by phoning the council take Jeanbean's advice and go there.

When we were looking for a plot - we're on a private site, not a council one - the only phone number we could find was of someone who'd been dead ten years! We had to stand at the gate and wave to someone, who eventually came and let us in!

Now, I've got my name, mobile number & e-mail address on the gate and on the council's website!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal