Author Topic: Gardeners World on Today  (Read 5436 times)

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
Gardeners World on Today
« on: February 14, 2010, 13:42:18 »
I got a text earlier from my mate informing me that Gardeners World was on BBC 2 about 11:30 this morning.  Is it just me or has this not been advertised at all.  I know the new series dont start whill the end of march and this may be a special but even so?.  And to rub salt into the wound its not available on I-player, the BBC realy dont give a toss about gardeners do they?

w00dy
Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Gardeners World on Today
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 13:53:10 »
Well, I saw it advertised in Radio Times.  Switched on lo look.  It was a special about a couple who are passionate about creating their perfect garden in Walsall, West Midlands.

No fruit or veg ???, so I switched off. ;D.  IMHO, you missed nothing.

valmarg

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 15:02:07 »
Well, I saw it advertised in Radio Times.  Switched on lo look.  It was a special about a couple who are passionate about creating their perfect garden in Walsall, West Midlands.

No fruit or veg ???, so I switched off. ;D.  IMHO, you missed nothing.

valmarg
Same for me.  I was annoyed that it was advertised as Gardeners World.

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:43:29 »
My apologies Beeb, its now available here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qzcqd

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:12:21 »
I for one was really annoyed about the scheduling of this programme. Virtualy no publicity or forewarning as to when it was on. Consequently i missed all bar the last 30 seconds of it when i just happened to be doing a bit of channel hopping and found it was on. Bad form BBC.

Seemed an odd time to show it. Would have understood if it had been put on at short notice in the usual friday night slot (been checking occasionaly for gardening programmes on friday nights so probably wouldn't have missed it). Must have been a short notice thing since the gardening press hadn't picked up on it. I get Amateur Gardening and they usually tell readers about up coming gardening shows.

Almost seems as if the BBC didnt want anyone to know about ti and watch it... Perhaps they will do the same to GW proper so they can axe it. :'( >:(

PS Fruit and Veg isnt the be all and end all of gardening life you know. Some of us are interested in flowers too! ;D ;)

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 13:36:07 »
Was it scheduled or was it just a filler because of the wet conditions at Whistler ?

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 13:41:16 »
I think it was scheduled, the last episode of the series is next Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jrx32/episodes/upcoming
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 20:44:40 »
This and next Sunday morning's programme were the last two specials which should have been shown in teh run up to Xmas but were pulled after an avalanche of criticism of the entire GW year, team and format from professionals and the viewing public.   These two were announced rather queitly on teh Beeb TV message board.

This year GW will start earlier - end of Feb apparently - and be more down to earth.  Carol will have her own series showing work and progress in her own garden thorugh the year Alys will also have her own programme, on veggies I think.  Unfortunately Tony remains as GW's main presenter and I believe Joe is staying too.

There will also be a new series form AT showing us his favourite gardens and how to achieve the effect on a smaller scale in our own garden.  Channel 4 will at last be airing Matthew Wilson's series The Landscape Man.

All in all a feast of gardening to come this year.  There's more info on the Beeb site and TV boards.
Obxx - Vendée France

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 13:21:13 »
Not one, but 5, yes 5, gardening programs + GW  :) :) :) :)

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8461132.stm

In Alan's Garden Secrets, Titchmarsh will visits a different garden to discover how it was inspired and influenced by the leading designers of the era. And will pass on "tips to viewers so they can create some of the same magic in their own gardens".

Monty Don, is also set to return to the Beeb in Monty Don's Italian Gardens,

Both programmes form part of a new gardening season, starting on BBC Two, including The Edible Garden, River of Flowers and Life and Death in a Cottage Garden - in which Carol Klein guides viewers through a year in the lifecycle of her own garden at Glebe Cottage in Devon.

Controller of BBC Two, Janice Hadlow, said: "We love gardening and this year we have a broad range of content to appeal to all levels of experience, from those with the greenest of fingers to fledgling gardeners."

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 13:38:45 »

Another quote for you.

from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/7006065/The-BBC-digs-itself-out-of-a-hole.html

When the programme (GW) returns to our screens in March, the cringe-worthy gimmicks will be gone, the edgy camera angles axed, the patronising advice on how to clean one's trowel dispatched, the Generation Game-style competitions consigned to the conveyor belt, and the cringe-worthy customised ice-cream van that distributes seeds to a bemused public clamped for good. And in their place will be what the devotees of the gentle world of horticulture have long yearned for: a return to the beloved tried-and-trusted format that was the television equivalent of an evening in with a comforting cup of cocoa and a seed catalogue.

Also

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1243449/Alan-Titchmarsh-hands-dirty-BBC-new-gardening-show.html?ITO=1490

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 15:04:11 »
Says Beeb has been lsitening but if that is that case they should have ditched Toby Buckland.    Time they had a femaile front my vote would be Rachel de Thame. 

But there must be a talent out there waiting to be discovered. 

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 20:04:58 »
What !!

Its wrong... plain wrong to garden in marigolds  :(
No de thame.
The woman made a cottage garden border from bought full sized plants from posh dealers that cost her £3000 thats not gardeneing thats shopping and plonking.  :-*

I want that allotment program to come back cant remember what it was called just that it was hosted by simon mayo, i wonder if any of you were stars in it? ;D

Anyways i learn far more from you guys than i ever do off of tele programs and their £120 planter projects.
x sunloving

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 22:20:13 »
  Time they had a femaile front my vote would be Rachel de Thame.   

Sorry, but she's one of the reasons we stopped watching GW.  She's just too prissy, and afraid to get her hands dirty, and 'heaven forbid' break a fingernail. :o :o  A bit like Kim Wilde, has done a bit of horticultural studying, enough to bandwaggon jump.

I agree with sunloving - gardening in marigolds. :o :o

I should have to say there aren't a lot of women presenters (maybe it's part of a big BBC plot - no pun intended).

I like Carol Klein and Sarah Raven - both are prepared to get their hands dirty, and show gardening in its full glory, ie dealing with dirt. ;D

Anne Swithinbank and Pippa Greenwood were two very good presenters on GW.

I'm sure there are a lot of candidates out there, but the BBC doesn't seem to be interested in women gardeners. Sad but true.

valmarg

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 14:47:03 »

I should have to say there aren't a lot of women presenters (maybe it's part of a big BBC plot - no pun intended).

I'm sure there are a lot of candidates out there, but the BBC doesn't seem to be interested in women gardeners. Sad but true.

Is it something to do with hitting what you might call the grass ceiling ?

I'll get me coat.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 14:01:16 »
I agree about Rachel de Thame buying and plonking with that over priced grass and roses border but would just like to point out she wore gloves to garden on TV whilst pregnant in order to avoid things like toxoplasmosis.  Very sensible.  I've also seen her garden without gloves on TV.

Having said that, what I want from GW is the how, when, where and why of gardening including raising ones own plants from seeds and cuttings becuase that's the way to get the variety you want in the size and colour you want and also saves so much money and gives enormous satisfaction.
Obxx - Vendée France

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 16:25:15 »

what I want from GW is the how, when, where and why of gardening including raising ones own plants from seeds and cuttings

Have you not seen CKs endless seed collecting and cuttings sections for the last two years on GW?
Its all she ever does.

Could I suggest getting hold of the RHS guide to Propergating Plants. It'll tell you all you need to know ... and more.

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 08:28:48 »
Gardeners World on again today at 11:30 on beeb 2.

I saw the show with simon mayo it was called The Big Dig

http://www.allotment.org.uk/articles/Big_Dig_Allotment_Televison_Programme.php

I too enjoyed it, i used to watch it on UKTV Gardening before UKTV axed the whole channel.

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 08:57:01 »
Sounds like theres some good gardening TV to look forward to in the coming year. i think these TV shows should show us something a bit more interesting what about Joy Larcom, Beth Chatto, Dan Pearson, Bob Flowerdew. the transition movement, the permaculture way. there is so much out there of interest and the gardening gods to learn from. I hope no more money and time is spent showing us more Londoners who have left their city lives, (after never getting their hands muddy in their lives) sold up in London and buy land in the country(thus putting the prices up!) this is not a rant at Monty Don as i worship the man!  There are masters out there to learn from and there are lots of innovative new things too, but please not the trendies who were not interested 5 years ago. sorry that's my sunday morning rant.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 08:58:02 »
I loved that series,hope they will make another one  :)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 16:49:21 »
I wear bright yellow marigolds when I'm at work ( I have a job where hygiene is important ;D)  when on hols at lottie I don't wear gloves but lots of coats of goth style nail polish to hide any stray dirt down the nails :P

Sarah Raven and Bob Flowerdew to front GW for me / shades x
grow your own way

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal