Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 1939 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Winter Olympics
« on: February 13, 2010, 05:27:52 »
Having just watched the opening ceremonies and hearing of the sadness of the death of the luge athlete at practice earlier  today may I wish all athletes and their families world wide ..good luck and God Bless you all.

XX Jeannine from Vancouver BC Canada
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
Re: Winter Olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 17:07:24 »
We watched the opening too and thought how sad it was.

Brought  home how fragile life is.

Well done to Vancover for a lovely opening ceremony.

Sinbad

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 09:47:27 »
Times like this I miss not having a tele. Times past, used to love the Winter Olympics. Dreadfully sad news about the fatality.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 06:11:00 »
I loved the opening ceremony. Well done Vancouver. The graphics were amazing I particularly loved the whales swimming across the stage! And wasn't KD Lang's singing a classy performance! Must admit tho I did mentally switch off for the speeches tho  :-X

And yes what a dreadful tragedy, but well handled by the Vancouver team

Don't have a telly but have been on the BBC iplayer checking out the action - the athletes are just phenomenal! Adore the ice skating, plus the downhill sking is truly exciting stuff to watch, and the guys doing the freestyle sking (mogul bumpy things at speed) is crazy viewing, but have been checking out lots of the other sports too  :)

I'm also looking forward to checking out the para-olympic winter games when that starts too

Jeannine - have you been tempted to try and see any of the action live?

Oh and I LOVE those mittens everyones got - the red ones with the maple leaf design in the palms! I want some!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:48:22 »
Our digital TV is hopeless at the moment so there is not much choice. 

Saw a bit of the moguls those folks must have rubber knees.  My knees start creaking just at the thought of it.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 12:23:54 »
And rubber spines! I'm sure their careers must be quite short, taking that kind of hammering can't be physically good in the long term

From another creaky knee!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 12:50:43 »
I think the career expectancy for all down-hillers is around four years. The worst is the mens downhill - when travelling at 100+kmh even the slightest bump will jar the knees.

Its rare for anyone doing any of the downhill sports to appear in two Olympics.

It does make me wonder how many take part in the main event and the go straight in to the Para Olympics a few weeks later.

Cant wait for the 4-Man Wheelchair Bobsleigh, the Blind Icehockey, or even the Wheelchair Mogols. :o :o :o

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 17:43:42 »
I think the career expectancy for all down-hillers is around four years. The worst is the mens downhill - when travelling at 100+kmh even the slightest bump will jar the knees.

1 of the guys in yesterdays downhill was 40. Admittedly old for that sport!

Cant wait for the 4-Man Wheelchair Bobsleigh, the Blind Icehockey, or even the Wheelchair Mogols. :o :o :o

Norty!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 13:34:14 »
I tried to get tickets to mens figure skating but could not justify $1800 dollars each for John and I. Some friends went into a lucky dip and managed to get three hockey tickets at $600 each. I have been able to see te skating on Tv so am happy there. I don't cheer for any country I just pick on an athlete I like. So far my two ice skating fellas are neck and neck.

XX Jeannine

If the mitts go on close out  sale at the Zellers accross the road after the games are over I might buy a couple of pairs and ship them over!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 13:42:22 »
Wow that's some price for tickets - no wonder you chose the comfy option of watching at home!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 13:58:18 »
At 1.6 $Can for 1GB pound, thats a lot of money.

Is that from official sources ? How much would a similar big game Canadian Ice Hockey match cost ?

I am just wondering about the best way to get London 2012 tickets.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 14:02:30 by Pesky Wabbit »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 14:19:51 »
I cruised the net to find prices but this was only a few weeks ago, I think they went on sale a year ago but I am not sure. My advice is don't leave it too late, enquire way way ahead. I don't know about the cost of a hockey game but I have friends who are BIG canucks fans so I will find out for you XX Jeannine

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 14:27:43 »
Pesky they will be on sale in 2011 (from the 2012 website). Not sure how it will actually work though! I'd also love to go to them, so as Jeannine says we need to be early and prepared!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 14:37:44 »
I suspect the tickets will be distributed in the usual British fair and even way - ie the big events (opening/closing  ceremonies. big finals days etc) will be evenly distributed amongst corporate entertainment / politicians / pop & film stars, leaving the real fans out on the street - just like the Wimbledon finals.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 14:39:32 »
that made me laugh - it shouldn't have tho!

The corporate stuff just stinks!!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 16:13:17 »
You could always go and watch the marathon for free.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 17:18:24 »
that's just so generous of the committee  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal