Author Topic: Sheen x300 problems?  (Read 11461 times)

spiritofold

• Not So New ...
Sheen x300 problems?
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:41:58 »
I've just got hold of a used sheen x300 flame gun. I've followed online instructions for lighting it, and all goes fine, open the valve to let some parafin get onto the wick, light it and then wait until it heats up,the noise changes to more of a roar when its hot enough. I do this and everything seems fine, until a few minutes later when the flame just goes out???

I've tried opening the valve varying amounts but the end result is still the flame going out and a massive cloud of vapourised parafin!

The tank pressures up fine, theres no leaks on any of the seals, but the bloody thing just keeps going out!!!!!!!

Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong, or how to put it right???

Thanks!

Andy  ;-)

spiritofold

• Not So New ...
Re: Sheen x300 problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:56:07 »
I've just taken the jet out and cleaned it, as well as stripping down the control valve to see if theres any crud in there. Out of parafin now so i'll have to check it later.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 15:06:08 »
just seen this, do let us know how you got on with it?
You couldn't make it up!

spiritofold

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 16:08:36 »
I got some more paraffin, fueled it up and went through the whole lighting procedure. It still keeps going out!!!!!!  I can see no interuption to the vaporised fuel so im certain its not a blockage.

I've swilled the tank out with fresh fuel, and after tipping it back out there was no debris to cause any blocks. Im at a total loss as to why this flame gun keeps going out???????????

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 16:14:59 »
Does it, and this is from a woman so don't call me stupid please!, tip up a bit and thereby stop the flow from the tank as it the level goes below the workings on to the flaming end?

Old Bird

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 17:22:49 »
once lit and vaporised it will not go out unless the fuel isnt getting into coil to become vapourised or there isnt enough pressure, do you have plenty of good wick, have you tried pricking the jet while vapourised when it goes out to see if there is a blockage of some type. once mine is lit the only way of putting it out is to let off the pressure. give Sheen themselves a call in Nottingham on 0115 9272321 they are very very helpful and spares are very cheap from them.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 22:20:50 »
I suspect, now that you've checked that it isn't blocked, that the problem is that the jet has been over-enlarged. perhaps by the previous owner.  It goes out because more paraffin is being pumped through the coil than can be vaporised.  It might be worth testing the theory by actually closing the valve somewhat.  If it burns for longer that way, then you may need to replace the jet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal