Author Topic: New pond...  (Read 3015 times)

greenfreek

• Not So New ...
    • My Confessions Blog
New pond...
« on: February 07, 2010, 21:08:30 »
Hello,
I hope you can help...
I want to put a small pond on my allotment and am wondering want plants will go well around the outside of it...

I've thought about lavender around one side but can anyone suggest some other, low maintenance plants or flowers?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: New pond...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 21:13:29 »
It's hard to say without knowing the soil conditions, aspect etc.  Can you tell us a bit more please. Lavender likes well drained soil and full sun.  Are these the conditions we are talking about?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 21:18:39 »
I'm going to be putting a small pond in as well at the bottom of my plot... I'm going to put rhubarb nearby and landcress... both will create a bit of shade so good for frogs.  I haven't got a clue about plants for in the pond though  ???

Cubby Broccoli

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 21:38:34 »
I'm going to be putting a small pond in as well at the bottom of my plot... I'm going to put rhubarb nearby and landcress... both will create a bit of shade so good for frogs.  I haven't got a clue about plants for in the pond though  ???[/color]

I would avoid any form of water iris, especially yellow flag as they seed copiously on surrounding ground.
Marsh Marigold when in flower is liked by bee's, If you can find any plant suppliers with Giant Marsh Marigold that would be good, it has become much rarer in the wild over the last couple of decades.

On no account put the  Myrophillium type sometimes known as Parrots Feather in your pond, it is not an indiginous species and spreads invasively to other  water areas  to the point of completely blocking out water courses.
If the pond is not more than a few inches deep plant Arrowhead and or Water Plantain.

I'm no expert. Just a simple back garden Veggie Grower.

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 21:49:15 »
Thanks for that. It's only going to be very small and quite shallow... just a little something for the wee beasties really.

Sorry for the thread hijack greenfreek!

greenfreek

• Not So New ...
    • My Confessions Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 23:27:22 »
Hahah no prob, the Rhubarb sounds good to me too so hijack away! haha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal