Author Topic: What to do now?  (Read 5718 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
What to do now?
« on: February 06, 2010, 13:33:42 »
I've just had a phone call from the breeder. Chomsky was at the vet today for his vaccination and the vet says he has a pronounced heart murmur. She has said I can walk away from the deal, take his sister instead (in photo below) or take him. It  is possible that it will not affect his health or longevity, but equally it could do and he could die young. Also any veterinary expenses relating to the heart murmur would not be covered by insurance.

Now sweet though she is I know I don't want his sister, but do I take him or leave him and start looking again?
[attachment=1]

betula

• Hectare
Re: What to do now?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 13:48:48 »
Jill.my collie has a heart murmur.She was a rescue,about 8 when we had her,we did not know till first trip to the vets.

She is quite active but occasionally has big coughing fits otherwise OK.One day we know she will have to go on meds.

Oh Anne what a dilemma??I know you have your heart set on her.

Heart v head ??

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 15:07:02 »
If the vet can give you an idea of what to expect (worst vs best case scenario) and you can afford the bills if/when he needs attention or medication, then follow your heart.

Our two were rescue kittens, we had chosen two silver tabby kits, and were due to pick them up the following week, but when I phoned they told me that one of them had died (post mortem showed a digestive abnormality which couldn't be fixed) but ... ... there were two lovely little gingers and the remaining brother wouldn't have difficulty in finding a home.  So we took the gingers (and love them to bits) but it was a heart-wrenching few days.

What a dilemma.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
The Tuscan Beaneater

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 15:13:56 »
Your decision Anne and only one you can make.. :-\

And if Chomsky resembles his sister in looks at all, and if you take him, best get him neutered asap if he's not already done;he'll be breaking kitty hearts all round the neighbourhood, otherwise.

Me? I'd go for it and, like someone suggested, earmark some investment savings each month for the if&when pot. Heart murmer aside, none of us who have/have had pets (or even human companions) are given an absolute guarantee of their longevity. Or of our own, for that matter.

So that's why I'd take Chomsky and enjoy my time, however long that is, with him.

btw....what are the breeder's plans for him if you decide on his sister or another cat, do you know?

and PS, cos Bean's posted while I've been typing - her first para contains a lot of sense I reckon....

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 16:33:11 »
This is Chomsky, Lish.
[attachment=1]
Thank you all for your advice. I'm supposed to pick him up tomorrow so I have to decide one way or the other. It's the breeder's vet who has seen him and said that he has a pronounced heart murmur. Apparently it's not possible to say what is causing it and how serious it is but it could be nothing - and he's playing quite happily with his siblings - or it could be long-term illness or the need for surgical intervention... I've googled and it appears that heart murmurs are relatively common in kittens and can clear up. An ultrasound would probably show what the cause is but that, in itself, is expensive. So that's the best and worst case scenarios.

If I don't take him the breeder will keep him.

Part of me wants to take him anyway - he's a really cute little dude. Part of me thinks I'd do better to look for another kitten that has no health problems. I think I'll try phoning my vet. Don't know if they work weekends though.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 16:39:09 »
Look for another kitten.
That is the sensible thing to do and if you have been reassured about the breeder keeping him then you dont even have to worry about him being put to sleep.

Long term ill health is very very expensive and you would probably end up spending thousands of pounds.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 17:33:40 »
Hard choices Anne. Reckon that going for a 2nd opinion would be good & might be a possible decider for you? And surely the breeder would be amenable to keeping him for a few more days (given that he/she will be keeping him anyway?) and allow you to take him for another opinion? But one thing I'm certain of!....once you let him into your home and heart, you're gonna be sunk so a firm decision knowing all the facts & probabilities/possibilities + potential costs, are essential.... WOTTA CORKER he really is 8)

Hey btw! His homonym ain't doin too badly is he? 81 now - an I had him down as ded years'n'years ago - was quite a shok to the system to hear him talkin on the radio a bit ago ::) :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 17:41:18 by Hyacinth »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 19:26:46 »
Ok I've asked the audience (that's you lot!), I've phoned a friend (vet and cat fanatic). I was 50-50 but I think I'm coming down on the side of looking for another kitten. I've had enough heartbreak over the last 3 years and I know it's all chance/fate/destiny/a lottery/ divine intervention  and I might get a totally healthy one that destroyed the furniture or the dog or developed terminal cancer  at age 2 but I really think I need the best conditions for this to work. Just waiting for no 1 son to get home from work and I'll talk it over with him then phone the breeder.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 19:47:15 »
Well done Anne, you've thought it through and made the best choice for you 8)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 19:55:30 »
Thanks Lish you're a mate! And my thinking through was massively helped by all your (all of you not just Lish) contributions!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 20:03:39 by grawrc »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 20:25:01 »
sorry to hear about this, Anne..hope you find another little kitty soon x

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 20:32:13 »
Ah c'est la vie, innit! ;D ;D ;D There are another couple of folk I can try. Disappointing though.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 10:58:52 »
Just to say - the deed is done. I've been in touch to say I'm not taking him.  Good to have made a decision and get closure but sad too. So I'll be keeping myself busy and active for the next few days.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 11:08:24 »
What a disappointment. Young Lorna's Laura, a rescue cat at 8 weeks was diagnosed with a heart murmur at a young age, she is now 12 and has had no problems but who is to say what the future would hold for your kitten.  I think you have made the right decision, sad as it is.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 11:31:36 »
Have you ruled out having Chomsky's little sister?  She looks so pretty and won't leave so many hairs all over the place.  I had a long haired cat and would never have another. 

May I ask why you prefer a male cat to a female as there is very little difference once they are neutered and some males still spray. 

I hope you find one soon.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 12:16:33 »
Have you ruled out having Chomsky's little sister?  She looks so pretty and won't leave so many hairs all over the place.  I had a long haired cat and would never have another. 

Yes, she looks lovely but she doesn't have her brother's personality. I didn't actually want a long-haired cat so that is one positive in all this.

May I ask why you prefer a male cat to a female as there is very little difference once they are neutered and some males still spray. 

I don't know really. I've always had male cats. Plus these are British Short Hair cats and the males are much bigger than the females and look just like the original Lewis Carroll Cheshire cat. Have a wee look at these "boys".
http://www.kruzinkalbritish.co.uk/boys.html
http://www.loismhor.com/
I will contact a couple of breeders and see when they are likely to have more kittens. It will probably be 3 months or more. Gestation is 9 weeks and they then keep them until they're 13 weeks. Probably not a bad thing since it gives me time to complete all my work on the house and to make the garden a safe place for a cat.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 17:22:08 »
Give Grotbag a shout, Anne :)

btw, from your second link I've fallen in lurve with two...

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 00:38:45 »
Me too.  Aren't they lovely. ;)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 12:29:07 »
Sorry, I completely missed this Anne. Sorry to hear about poor little Chomsky but I think you made the right decision. I think these things are quite common with pedigree cats. Have you considered a rescue kitty? They do usually have kittens at the cat rescue shelters and I can't imagine a sweeter life for a poor unwanted kitty than with you.  8)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 13:51:47 »
Sorry, I missed this one too.

I'm sure you've made the right decision, even though it must have been really hard. 

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal