Author Topic: Leeks - makes me mad -  (Read 1604 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Leeks - makes me mad -
« on: November 05, 2004, 15:54:52 »
- Oct to Mar they say. Bought in as 'braces' & put out when ready. Other 2 rows - home grown 'early' & 'late' - are the same. There'll be nothing left in a couple of months. = Tim

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re:Leeks - makes me mad -
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 16:29:53 »
I am beginning to think it is a funny year for leeks. The warm and damp conditions has brought them on well but they are also going soft a bit. Carlton especially is suffering from slimy outer leaves and soft stalks.

My Musselbrough and Autumn Giant are holding well through and I have not started to harvest them. The recent witch to cooler weather may also help, we had our first frost here in Sussex last night.

What variety are they Tim? Some will happily stay in the ground for a month or two hardly growing.

I also tend to plant mine in sucession, with my late main crop following second early spuds. I have been eating leeks from this years planting for about 6 or 7 weeks and also have a couple of rows of leeks not much thicker than my thumb that will see us through to April/May I hope.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 16:59:04 »
Yes - hindsight, hindsight!!
 I know I should stagger them, but it never seems to work out.

The home sown are Startrack & Alcazar. The Dobies ones are Pancho & Poribleu (the latter pictured). And yes, all ours are going funny, but I guess it's as much to do with creeping white rot as the weather. I feel that they can only get tough & stemmy from now on. Shame! = Tim

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 22:30:32 »
White rot Tim? Reading that made me wonder. Why have I never had white rot in leeks but always get it in onions?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 06:24:48 »
Lucky old you!! = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 12:43:41 »
I don't seem to suffer from the rot in my leeks either Ina and I assumed that it was because they grow through the winter when the rot is a spring/summer problem.  My leeks have come on a storm this year and are already a good useable size! ;D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 17:55:37 »
That must be why, thanks EJ.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal