Author Topic: The Great Spud Challenge 2010  (Read 32124 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: The Great Spud Challenge 2010
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2010, 17:23:50 »
Mine are looking very bonny I usually wait until mine die of something such as lblight so it will be a bit of a wrench digging up good healthy plants.  

What are the winning criteria is it the biggest or the heaviest crop from six or the plant with the heaviest?  

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 17:46:02 by Digeroo »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2010, 17:42:45 »
I'll leave you lot to get on with it then  8)

I got round to earthing up today  ;D

This years dates;

Planted out 28/4

Earthed up earlies; 25/5

Earthed up 2nd Earlies & Maincrop 2/6 (Today)

Ah well  :-\ I guess I will still be eating mine when all of your are finished.

Proving the point it all comes to those who wait! and I don't mind waiting ;D

Best of luck to you early birds!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2010, 21:19:24 »
I am with you Tee Gee, apart from the tubs I guess I will be (hopefully) eating mine much later in the year as mine only just planted.

Debs, maybe you and  I should have a race together LOL

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Barkie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #243 on: June 03, 2010, 12:17:48 »
Forgot to post here - we ate the first one from 21st Feb on 6th May. There was 800g or 1lb 12 oz in old money.

Second one had the same amount on 20th May.

Two Rocket yielded 3lb 2oz (1700g) on 27th May not sure if that was from a later planting - the label had gone missing.

I had my mind set on making dinner last night so I forgot to weigh some from the third Feb 21st one. I bunged it back in the bucket afterwards.

My 22nd March batch are still in the tubs but making a determined bid for freedom.  I reckon I'll harvest one of the tubs on P-Day.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #244 on: June 03, 2010, 14:34:31 »
I am definitely being true to the challenge and harvesting on the said dates - my own little personal challenge was to plant 2 seeds in a big tub and 2 seeds of another variety in another tub to compare yields and taste, as I haven't done this before - a recent garden survey result showed 2 kg from just 2 seeds, not bad - rest of my spuds are in the ground, masses of them 1st and 2nd earlies but the early harvest for me is the best thing in this challenge

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #245 on: June 03, 2010, 17:12:05 »
I am actually looking forward to digging my challenge potatoes.  I have lots of others and I would not have the six lovely plants and be thinking of harvesting them now if it had not been for this challenge.   It was a bit of fun keeping them from getting frost damaged creeping about in the dark with plastic bottles, milk bottles filled with water and fleece.

I have already chosen various candidates to go in the space and replace them and obviourly being potatoes there are no weeds coming up round them. 

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2010, 18:22:06 »
Am using potato grow bags this year for the first time ever.   They're the smaller sized black plastic planters that hold approx 14 litres compost when full.   

I planted 2 x 20 tubers several weeks ago and have had 39 take.   I've got a nice lot of tops showing but as of yet daren't look underneath.

Oh well, fingers crossed

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2010, 18:50:50 »
S-Day will be this weekend, Trev and Tones birthdays, my ground spuds are deffo not ready with the frosts hitting them but the tub growers should be in with a chance, fingers crossed.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2010, 19:37:54 »
Well, ever since I've been gardening I've had new potatoes for my birthday. With two exceptions: the first was ten years ago when I was in Australia and my daughter-in-law, who was house-sitting, ate them in my stead; the second will be this year. I haven't even dared a furkle yet!

And I'm always eating broad beans & carrots by now, too. No way!

Although I've just managed to serve asparagus, cauliflower, calabrese & lettuce for my grand-daughters for the evening meal. And I think there are a couple of artichokes waiting in the wings....

Sorry guys, have to admit total defeat.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #249 on: June 04, 2010, 04:44:58 »
Well heavens to Betsy, my bed planted ones have  pushed through the soil,  the pot ones looked good today though .XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #250 on: June 04, 2010, 20:51:37 »
I planted just one Kestrel (second early) in a black sack on Feb 20th.  That will be 15 weeks ago tomorrow.  I can feel hard lumps through the sack near the base, but the leaves are still green and healthy looking, and there aren't any flowers.  Is it ime yet? 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2010, 04:49:43 »
Sounds like a filled Christmas stocking in the dark!!

Oh I said the  C word in June

XX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2010, 15:06:26 »
there you go, maris Bard, 1 plant pampered under a cloche..picked today for tea  ;D

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #253 on: June 05, 2010, 16:48:01 »
Wow! And you're a lot further north than me! But then mine were cut back by that frost a few weeks back.

I've just back from the plot. The ground is as hard as iron, but I tried a furkle - absolutely nothing! First birthday meal without potatoes!

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #254 on: June 05, 2010, 17:59:39 »
Here's my effort - Sharpes Express planted in one of those plastic bag potato planters on March 1st and has been sitting on outside on my patio ever since. Very pleased though I thnk I should have watered them more. Also still have a bag with (Poundland) Rocket which was for comparison - certainly top growth not so lush and will give them perhaps a week more.
Off to cook the spuds for our tea  ;D

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #255 on: June 05, 2010, 18:36:45 »
Mine rotted in the sack - I was devastated.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #256 on: June 05, 2010, 19:42:57 »

Here they are- my first ever potatoes!  Kestrel planted 15 weeks ago today in a black sack- I'm very happy!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #257 on: June 05, 2010, 20:25:29 »
Gwynnethmary well done, and you'll be even happier when you eat them!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2010, 20:29:31 »
You can go off people, you know!

(Wow - well done!!)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2010, 20:33:45 »
Ok ok, I was going to do it tomorrow, but seeing everyone elses I couldn't wait...

Just over 1kg of Pentland Javelin potatoes (from Poundland) grown in a florists black bucket.
Chiffed to bits  ;D

Edit : Planted Feb 21st 2010 two other pictures in the gallery..
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 20:38:39 by Mortality »
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal