Author Topic: a lottie at last- or at least a bit of a lottie!  (Read 3082 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
a lottie at last- or at least a bit of a lottie!
« on: February 01, 2010, 13:11:55 »
It's funny how you can try and try to make things happen yourself and get no-where, but then, when you're not expecting it, along comes a "gift" right out of the blue!  I have tried all ways to get an allotment since last summer, and was more or less reconciled to the fact that it would probably be many years before my name got to the top of the list.  I had settled myself in my mind to grow stuff at home, and have bought seeds, and a small number of potatoes ready to turn our small back garden partly over to veg (which I'll still do). Then, at church the other day, a friend asked me if I was still interested in working on an allotment!   It turns out that her husband's cousin had asked them if they wanted to help him on his plot! And she asked me!  So we went to see him this morning in the snow- a lovely tidy plot with about a third neatly covered over (for 3 years!)- that would be our bit.  There were foxy paw prints all over- it's fantastic!  This will be just the thing for me- working on something with a friend, and no pressure!  If we find it's too much for us, he says he'll just cover it over again.  We can fit in 6 beds, about 4 feet wide and maybe 10 feet long.  There are brambles all along the fence to pick too later in the year.  I'm a very happy person today!

betula

• Hectare
Re: a lottie at last- or at least a bit of a lottie!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 13:14:03 »
Really happy for you.

It is such a good feeling when you get your allotment   ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 13:17:03 »
So pleased for you, I'm sure you will really enjoy it.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 13:21:54 »
oooh, so exciting and just in time for the growing season, now you'll need more seeds and spuds  ;D

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 16:48:13 »
oooh, so exciting and just in time for the growing season, now you'll need more seeds and spuds  ;D

I know, and now I can grow full-sized stuff!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 18:36:15 »
Nice one girl, I bet your proper chuffed, has the snow not cleared yet and what site are you on.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 19:57:50 »
Marvelous bloomin marvelous so pleased for you, where about have you got your part share.
If there is any way you need out from plant pots to veg plants that go in them to get you started please don,t be shy of asking.

Davy
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 20:30:59 »
Nice one girl, I bet your proper chuffed, has the snow not cleared yet and what site are you on.  ;D ;D ;D

Still got snow here, but rain due tonight so it might go soon.  It's the Brierton site- a bit further away than I'd have liked but I'm still happy!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 20:33:13 »

Still got snow here, but rain due tonight so it might go soon.  It's the Brierton site- a bit further away than I'd have liked but I'm still happy!

Thanks Davy, I'll bear that in mind!  There's a load of stuff we can use in the shed: pots, seed trays etc. so we shouldn't need to get much to start with.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 20:55:48 »
Congratulations, how lovely!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 23:33:32 »
Woohoo really pleased for you! ;D ;D ;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 23:47:40 »
Yipppeeeee! How great. You often say on your posts how long you think you'll be waiting! No more. V, v happy for you.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 00:19:55 »
I'll keep my name on the list for a whole one of my own, but this will certainly do for a start.  The thing I like about allotments is the feeling of space around you- there seems to be more freedom somehow.  Am hoping for some better weather soon so that I can make a start and see what's under all the carpet!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 10:01:15 »
Gwynnethmary well done, you must be feeling so pleased!
I certainly agree with your comment about the feeling of space on the plot, and like you wishing for better weather soon! 
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal