Author Topic: Best time to prune Hazel bush ?  (Read 6654 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Best time to prune Hazel bush ?
« on: February 01, 2010, 13:08:11 »
Am I too late to prune it now ? It is a lovely purple leafed variety of Hazel .Is Hazel one of those that you,d prune down to the ground ........ and if it is can I use the branches I cut off as cuttings to propagate more plants with ? Debbie 
Trespassers will be composted !

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Best time to prune Hazel bush ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 13:15:24 »
I'm sure it's not too late, but don't waste any time because the sap will start to rise soon.  And yes, I'd always cut hazel at ground level to promote nice straight new growth - though you don't have to coppice all of the branches.  I'm not familiar with striking hazel cuttings, but I can't see it'll do any harm to try.  I imagine the named varieties are actually grafted on species root stock.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 13:21:34 »
Thankyou Unwashed ! Yes I am off to do it now as indeed there are signs of spring everywhere here in Cornwall . I will also check to see if it has been grafted as you mentioned . It is  Corylus avellana " Rouge de Zeller "  I am not growing it for nuts ,but for the lovely leaf colour .   Thankyou very much . Debs  :)

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 18:06:27 »
Yes prune it as soon as you wish. Remember if you have a rabbit problem cut it fairly high, at least two feet as they will eat the new shoots. :o
If it is still a single stem do not cut too low, you need some stem for the shoots to flush from.
Hazel coppicers start low and each year cut a bit higher by necesity.
The more stems you leave the more buds will flush, just a couple of stems will send up tall lank growths.
Corulus avellana the common hazel used to be layered by the coppice growers. I would imagine you may be able to grow the nuts. Not sure about cuttings, I doubt they are very sucessful as this would have beemn easier for the coppicers than layering. :)
Have fun. :D
I grow a common hazel and a purple filbert and coppice each one on alternate years for pea and bean sticks, bird perches and sticks for perenial supports. 8)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 19:59:02 »
Thankyou iPT8 .  I have now pruned it down and the removed branches are standing in a bucket of water ....tomorrow I will push them into the earth in a sheltered corner of my garden where there used to be a compost heap . Maybe the warmth will make them grow .... might as well try !  Thanks again  :) Debs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal