Author Topic: Will these spuds be okay?  (Read 2518 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Will these spuds be okay?
« on: January 26, 2010, 11:11:08 »
I have just collected some spuds from the allotment. Some of them have gone spongy. Will I have to throw them away or are they okay to cook and eat? Also, some of the ones I saved for seed potatoes have gone spongy too, will they be any use now? ???

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Will these spuds be okay?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 16:30:31 »
I would't eat any that have gone too spongy, planting I'm not sure about.    ???   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 16:54:22 »
Some of them have gone spongy.  Also, some of the ones I saved for seed potatoes have gone spongy too, will they be any use now?

Well as Cornkev says I wouldn't eat them!

Regarding keeping them for seed;

If they are no more spongy than the ones you saved for seed, then you can try 'chitting them and if they chit I see no reason why you won't get a crop from them.

But bear in mind keeping your own seed can create a greater risk of being affected by disease.

Just as an add on to this; have you started chitting the ones you have saved?

If you haven't I think I would get them set up and chitting before they get any softer!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 17:40:35 »
I have eaten spuds that are a little soft because they are sprouting, but if they are not sprouting then do not eat them just in case they a infected with something nasty.

As for using them for seed, well I think they will proably rot, but even if they do not, they probably are infected with something, which could go on to affect the crop you grow.

Cut a few in half, might give a clue to why they are going soft.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 17:54:33 »
These potatoes were not soft when harvested, they seem to have gone soft because they have been so cold in the shed. Most of the stored ones have been affected. I am sure they could not be deseased.
The ones I have saved for seed potatoes were fine originally too, they are in egg trays in the shed. I don't realy know what you mean when you say have I started chiting them, I just thought they would grow shoots themselves.
I have heard so many people say that you should buy seed potatoes and have alays done so in the past. The guy in the next allotment to me always has success with everything he grows. He is an ex science teacher and he is lways explaining things to me. He said that he alwys used his last years crop for seed potatoes, in fact some of the ones I have are from him. You would not believe the yield he has! I watched a programme the other day about commercial growers in Jersy who use their own for seed potatoes too, so surely there must be something in it??
If the potatoes look completely clean inside after cutting, even though, spongy, do you think they would be okay or not?
i am getting more confused ???

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 17:58:22 »
If they are green dont eat them, they are poisonious then.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 19:01:32 »
If the look OK inside, then yes, proably just the cold has got to them, I've just picked a few out of my shed that have gone soft and starting to rot because the cold got to them.

If they look OK inside, then bring them indoors and put them somewhere light, I use a north facing window sill.
If the cold has killed them, then nothing will happen, if they do grow a few good shoots give them a go.

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 19:05:40 »
Cacran, where have you stored the potatoes? Some potatoes will start to lose moisture if they have been stored at too high a temperature and become softer and wrinkled.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 20:22:23 »
I think we are all in agreement that eating them is a big NO NO so I won't discuss that issue any further.

These potatoes were not soft when harvested,

As one would expect!

they seem to have gone soft because they have been so cold in the shed.

Possibly not  as realfood say they might have been stored at some time in too warm a situation and the cold has mummified them at this stage!

To establish if 'cold' is an issue  cut a potato into quarters and if 'cold' is the problem then they will probably have black patches in them.

If greenish/off white in colour they should be OK for seeding!

Most of the stored ones have been affected. I am sure they could not be deseased.

Lets hope so but you will have know of knowing this for certain.

they are in egg trays in the shed.

But are they in the dark or the light. They need to be in the light to chit.

I just thought they would grow shoots themselves.

They do but if it is dark the chits will be soft light coloured and will break off easily.

If chitted in the light they should be like this;

I have heard so many people say that you should buy seed potatoes and have alays done so in the past. The guy in the next allotment to me always has success with everything he grows. He is an ex science teacher and he is lways explaining things to me. He said that he alwys used his last years crop for seed potatoes, in fact some of the ones I have are from him. You would not believe the yield he has! I watched a programme the other day about commercial growers in Jersy who use their own for seed potatoes too, so surely there must be something in it??

Perhaps so but it is quite often down to how they were stored, and how selective you have been when choosing the ones to save!

The reason for buying new is to reduce the risk the potential of contacting disease, but this is not guaranteed even with purchased seed!

I always save my Pink Fir Apple seed simply because they are generally relatively more expensive to buy, whereas the more common varieties are relatively cheap and it is not worth the risk (in my opinion)

In my opinion why take the risk fo going to the expense & trouble of digging, mucking and fertilsing tubers to find at harvest time a poor crop just to save a few bob.

Regarding the Jerseys this is a commercial enterprise and like all seed suppliers they save seed from selected potatoes from the previous years crops and sell the unsuitable ones for culinary use.

Too explain this one is not exactly rocket science, the farmer put the harvest over a a grid where the ones that fall through are generally used for seed and the bigger ones that don't go through are eaten.

i am getting more confused

I hope this clarifies the situation a bit better.

To sum up! yes you can save your own seed if you are prepared to take the risks associated with doing this and that you chit your potatoes in good light not darkness.

ps I hope I have not been too patronising with my comments!

If it is any consolation I get often get confused  when I read about or hear  other peoples views on this that or the other.....in the end I just make a descision and stick to it!

So on that note I leave my thought with you......Tg

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:39:46 »
Thanks Tee Gee. Your explaination was great.

The seed potatoes are in my shed which has a biggish window and is reasonably light.  I will wait and see what happens with regard chitting. I will buy some seed potatoes as well to hedge my bets. I have quite a lot od space to try out the ones I have saved.  I will only plant those if the chit well and look in good condition.

My other potatoes which I stored for eating were in racks, in a single layer with a blanket over them. They were in the same shed as the potential seed potatoes. I stored some potatoes in brown sacks but I found they were getting damp for some reason. My shed doesn't leak in so I can only assume it must have been condensation.

All these potoatoes may have been warm at some point as after harvesting we have had a bit of warm weather and it gets quite warm in the shed.

I will not eat the spongy ones.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain things to me.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal