Author Topic: All the ills of the world..  (Read 5369 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
All the ills of the world..
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:38:02 »
I often see threads turning a bit off colour when topics that start folks speaking their mind get on the forum.

I don't know if this will work but maybe we put the hot ones here, or whatever.

I know there are rules on the forum but if this topic gets a bit heated , well we are all aware up front it might, and folks don't have to read it.

For eg, there is a lot of talk about scam requests for money here in Canada to help Haiti, we are advised to ask a lot of questions before we give.

Another thing, there have been folks offering B&B to visitors to the Olymipcs, many have been found to be bogus but the folks had to pay up front and now have lost their money as the "sellers" have skipped.

And finally I was appaled when looking into tickets fro the Mens Figure Skqting I found the only ones available are  $1800 as they were bought by scalpers, now that makes me so mad.

Oh and  ever so discreetly, just how many names does out "friend" have who posts rather inappropriately. I have tried to figure  it out  myself so I can avoid them but not sure if I ahve it right, or is  there more than one person doing it.

Feel better for that grumble

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: All the ills of the world..
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:30:17 »
Well, maybe it's moany Monday but I feel a bit like that too! It's awful that whenever there is a crisis or charity event there are people using it to make money for themselves.
We caught a guy one Children in Need day collecting in our pub. He had no official stuff and didn't seem to realise that CIN don't just send random collectors out. He scarpered once the customers clocked what was happening.
I am also suffering ticket meltdown. Have been trying to get hold of Glasto tickets since June last year-waited for them to come on sale, sat on the mailing list, nothing, dealt with xmas and guess what? Sold out. It's not until June!!!!!
I'll pm you the info sent to me regarding our cheerful friend.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 12:20:39 »
I don't think one thread would be enough for all the ills of this world, perhaps there should be a whole sub-forum, perhaps off the Watershed, called, maybe, Lets Fight ?  :-\

As for Glastonbury tickets, although last year there were several thousand unsold, I think this year will be a sell out.

Isn't it an anniversary year   (140 years of Status Quo, or something like that), in which case the touts would have bought all available, ready to sell on.  >:(

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 13:24:27 »
I don't think one thread would be enough for all the ills of this world, perhaps there should be a whole sub-forum, perhaps off the Watershed, called, maybe, Lets Fight ?  :-\

Woohoo-I'm with ya!!  ;D

3000 tickets to be sold in Feb. No doubt the touts will get in there but I'll still try. Rumours of David Bowie headlining this year!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 14:19:24 »
Leaving a sack of really good clothing out for scope and some ***** coming around, sticking a sign on his scabby van and taking the lot  :-X >:(

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 13:03:02 »
Funny how so many people have never caught on to the biggest scam of all. Religions.

Financially backed by the wealthy,  telling every one to ' work hard all your life serve your master and you will get your reward in heaven'. When you die.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 13:09:54 »
Do you have gold you no longer need?
Have you been in an accident that wasn't your fault?
Are you struggling to meet your monthly credit repayments?

Then for heaven's sake don't watch daytime tv.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 13:27:05 »
I can think of several examples in the New Testament, where Jesus is recorded as saying exactly the opposite of
work hard all your life serve your master and you will get your reward
:-\

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 00:45:59 »
I would agree that "religion" isn't the real thing- Jesus wasn't a big fan of religion too- he had very harsh words for the religious leaders of His day, who lthought they were better than everyone else because they kept the rules of their religion, but didn't have love for God or people in their hearts. 
The idea that Christianianity is about working hard, serving your master and getting your reward in heaven is, with respect, a misrepresentation of the real message of the gospel, which simply means "good news", and let's face it, we all need some of that!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 05:15:34 »
Hear hear!! Very well put Saddad and Gwynnethmary, I couln't agree with you more.

Emmy you made me laugh, I have a pet peeve with commercials..I  don't think you get the ones about "male enhancement"  pills in the UK, I don't remember them , they seem to be on all the channels  here all the time, they are unbelievably funny,especially the really serious ones. John  gets quite annoyed with them... maybe I should switch some for his thyroid pills..oh I am bad!!

Save me a ticket if you organise the fight, I haven't had a good row in years.

I love the idea of a moaning Monday.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:52 »
I like religion. It makes people nicer. As long as they are not extremist (of any religion.)
I've had a lot of jobs in my short years and the nicest, kindest, most thoughtful people I ever worked with were at the YMCA. This was most prominent in the younger members of staff who seemed marvellously well-adjusted and because they had been involved with charity work and volunteering most of their lives had such a good positive outlook on life and had such a lot to offer.
Religion and faith give people hope and comfort and that can't be a bad thing surely?

Jeannine-That made me laugh so much! Poor John  ;)

We do get so many of these ads and it makes me steam-we don't get the ones for "male enhancement" (love that-I'd think they meant: picks up his socks, cleans the bathroom from time to time and buys flowers every week!)

;D ;D ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 12:04:17 »
I like religion. It makes people nicer.
'well, apart from all those Catholic Priests who abused children for years, the Christians who were involved in the slave trade,  The Jews who steal land from the palestinians, the Palestinians who bomb the Israelis, The Christians who are bombing Iraq / Afghanistan, the Christians in Africa who killed the Muslims and threw their bodies into wells to poison the whole area, ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8478335.stm ) the list goes on and on and on and on and........
You couldn't make it up!

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 12:06:10 »
 :-[ I did say

As long as they are not extremist (of any religion.)

I meant your average day to day soul, on a day to day level. Not nutters. I have the same issues with extremism and the evil carried out in the name of religion that you do and I know I just sounded like a total airhead but I'm not-I am very aware.
If religion disappeared overnight it wouldn't end abuse, murder, slavery, poverty. They would still exist.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:14:53 by emmy1978 »

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 12:11:24 »
Telephone cold callers and the stupid recorded messages..usually when i'm expecting a call or when my youngest is sleeping... >:(
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 12:20:51 »
I get tired of all the news being bad news.  Why can't the TV and newspapers report good news.  I went to Austria a few years ago and found their new programmes much more elating.  Even when there was bad news (at the time flooding), they put a positive spin on it and concentrated on the efforts being make to overcome the problems.   So we saw footage of people working round the clock to relocate the telephone exchange and people turning up and removing landslides.  At least 25% of each news programmes was purely good news and success stories.

I also hate people who ring up and proclaim they are not selling anything.  They are not selling insurance, kitchens or double glazing.  Especially when I have nodded off.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 12:22:02 »
I can think of several examples in the New Testament, where Jesus is recorded as saying exactly the opposite of
work hard all your life serve your master and you will get your reward
:-\
Yup.  Paul said pretty much exactly that too.  The problem so often is not the religion, but the religeous.  And I'd include religeous bigots like Richard Dawkins in that definition too.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 12:22:38 »
 Em, I totally agree with you, all fundamentalists are basically 'nutters', and 'having religion' does not automatically make anyone a 'nice person'  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 12:28:19 »
Waiting to complete a house move......surely designed to drive the sanest person nutty. :-\

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 12:39:31 »
Waiting for a plumber to reconnect my toilet - 3 days now and still waiting.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 12:39:52 »
Em, I totally agree with you, all fundamentalists are basically 'nutters', and 'having religion' does not automatically make anyone a 'nice person'  ;)

So glad we understand each other.  :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal