Author Topic: Shelley  (Read 5299 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Shelley
« on: January 22, 2010, 20:24:53 »
Last night I had to call out the emergency vet to my cat, Shelley.  Shelley had been going down hill for a while and at 21.5 years was quite an old lady.  She was blind, a bit deaf and sometimes muddled but she had a good appetite and could still jump onto 'her' chair.  But last night she had a fit for a couple of minutes and, even though she seemed to recover well, I knew it was time to say goodbye.  I couldn't bear the thought of her having another fit, perhaps when I was asleep or at work, and maybe injuring herself and lying in pain for hours.  The two men who came out from Medi Vet were marvellous and Shelley died peacefully on my lap.  I'm bereft of course and in tears as I type this but I know she had a good life.  Here she is when she was a bit younger, sunning herself on one of my containers. 

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

betula

• Hectare
Re: Shelley
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 20:40:54 »
It is so hard to part with our dear companions G.

Hope you find comfort in the fact that Shelley  had an incredibly long life and the memories of all the time you spent together.

Love and hugs as always  x

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 20:49:59 »
Thank you, Den.  Yes, I had her from when she was eight weeks old so, as you say, it's been a very long time.  I keep looking for her at the moment and poor Timmy (my other, younger cat) is utterly confused.   :(

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 20:50:19 »
aww g,i am sorry for your loss am sure she haa great life with you .( big hug for  you ) .

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 20:52:54 »
Thanks Grots.  I need distraction so a hug is much appreciated.   :)

G x

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 20:53:30 »
Sorry to hear that G, she would have had a wonderful life.

The void does slowly close with the lovely memories you retain.

Linda
x

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 20:59:30 »
Thanks Nins.  She was certainly one pampered cat as you have guessed although I don't think she ever really got over losing her brother who had to be put down when he was 17.  She was half his size but she knew she was the boss.   ;D

G x

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 21:05:57 »
So sorry G. They become so much a part of our lives.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 21:13:17 »
Thanks Anne.  They do indeed.

G x

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 21:21:01 »
so sorry to hear honey,as a devoted at lover myself i do feel your pain.21 hey,wow,she must have been very looked after and happy xxxx
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 21:36:31 »
Georgie you did the right thing although that doesn't make it any less sad. Just think what a lucky cat owner and a lucky cat to have so many years together.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 21:38:09 »
Awww, thanks Elvis and Lorna.  Everyone is being so kind.  :)

G x

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 22:12:11 »
I'm so sorry to read about Shelley. She was a beautiful cat and I can only imagine how upset you must be.
Hugs to you and Timmy,
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 22:13:57 »
Thank you, Betty.  All these kind words really help.  :)

G x

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 10:49:20 »
I sympathise, all the more so as she'd been with you all that time. 
I'm sure that you have many fond memories of her which will help when you miss her as you undoubtedly will.   Take care, and hugs!  xx
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 10:55:22 »
Hope you feeling OK today G  x

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 10:58:16 »
Thank you, Flighty.  Shelley was certainly a cat with character and yes, I have lots of treasured memories.   :)

Awww Den, I'm okay.  Still keep looking for her before I remember but that's to be expected I guess.

G x

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 11:08:00 »
Georgie, I am so sorry to read about Shelley.  I am sure you did the right thing by not letting her suffer any more. 

That is a great age for a cat.  I lost my Sweepie  (who, incidently, looked very much like your Shelley) when he was eight.  I know how devastated I was at the time and really feel for you at the moment. 

Only time can heal the grief and then the happy memories will prevail and you will put behind you the nightmare of her passing.

Big hugs and love are sent with this message, Georgie.

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}hugs{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 11:35:18 »
Hi Pauline, thanks for your message and the love and hugs. I don't think it matters whether you lose a young pet or an older one, if you loved them then it's very hard when they die.   :(

G x

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 11:54:12 »
Maybe Dr Seuss has the answer

Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened.
-Dr. Seuss

Thinking about you today G  x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal