Author Topic: Climbing Rose  (Read 1903 times)

Tracyj

• I love Allotments4All
Climbing Rose
« on: November 03, 2004, 11:03:43 »
Hi - I wondered if any rose experts may be able to give me some advice.  I want a red clibing rose to grow up the side of my shed.  Ideally it would be easy to look after, pretty disease resistant & able to cope with half sun/half shade.  After doing some research on the internet I think I've managed to narrow it doem to Crimson Cascade, Dublin Bay or Super Excelsa.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
Re:Climbing Rose
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 11:48:17 »
Have a look at Etoile D'Holland - a beautiful vigorous red with a terrfic scent. It is healthy, semi-double and has some disease resistance. Don't know much about Crimson Cascade but I think the other two do not have much fragrance - and what is a rose without a perfume? In truth, a good scented red climber is fairly hard to find, amid the sea of pinks and whites. Good Luck, suzy

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 14:03:33 »
One I'd love is called Tuscany Superb. It's a gorgeous deep marony red and a fairly simple flower, more like a wild rose. It's an old fashioned variety. I've seen it described as both a climbing and bush rose. But it's supposed to be very vigorous.
gone to pot :D

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 16:04:41 »
Rosa 'Sympathie' strong climber with big dark red scented flowers. Very beautifull
Happy Gardening

Tracyj

• I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 10:06:24 »
Thanks very much for your replies - I ordered Crimson Cascade at the weekend as I understand it's quite heavily scented compared to the others I was looking at, but we also have a fence panel that I'd like to hide so I'll look at your suggestions for that!  (As the delivery cost was the same for up to 3 bushes I ended up ordering another 2 as well!)  Thanks again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal