Author Topic: Butler sink for a wildlife pond?  (Read 17217 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Butler sink for a wildlife pond?
« on: January 22, 2010, 15:19:34 »
I'm thinking of making a raised wildlife pond (I've read up on how to do it) and I've just seen on Freegle that someone is offering an antique butler sink.  This sounds like a runner to me, what do you think?  And if I'm lucky enough to be offered it, what would you recommend to seal the plug hole/overflow.  Thanks.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
Re: Butler sink for a wildlife pond?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 19:30:15 »
if t'was me i'd use silicone /

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 10:32:44 »
Right thanks.  Can you expand a bit on that, please.  Do I fill in the holes with some kind of cement and then use the silicone to seal or just use silicone?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 11:22:10 »
we used aquarium glue sealant on ours georgie,the stuff you would use if you were to repair a fish tank
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 15:41:32 »
apply a thin smear of silicone sealant (fish-tank grade) to the plug, the weight of the water will ensure a water-tight seal. leave the over-flow open, to allow for overflowing when (if) we get a down-pour..
 ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 19:20:34 »
Thanks both.  Still no news on whether I've got it.   ???

G x

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 22:22:26 »
Fingers crossed, Georgie X

Want to ask (after I've googled, looked at pix, still can't find the answer :-\) what's the diff between a 'butler's sink' and a 'belfast sink', please?

PS...my sink, whichever it was & which I dug up as a 'treasure' in my garden x years ago, I tried sealing with silicone, as per grotbag's suggestion - it wasn't 100% successful & so I planted it out with rockery stuff..

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 01:13:16 »
Want to ask (after I've googled, looked at pix, still can't find the answer :-\) what's the diff between a 'butler's sink' and a 'belfast sink', please?

Regardless of where it was made it is a butler sink. Belfast butler sinks have overflows other butler's often don't, others are often shallower too.
This article explains it better if you're interested.
http://www.periodhomeandgarden.co.uk/news/articletype/articleview/articleid/23/know-your-butler-from-your-belfast.aspx

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 21:36:12 »
Someone else got it.   :(

Back to the drawing board.   ::)

G x

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
  • Whitwick/Thringstone, Leics
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 12:58:59 »
I wonder how this project went? 

We've been given a Belfast Sink and looking at doing the same just as an area for the many frogs and toads and 'stuff' we have on our allotments.

Camo
Kill nothing, save it be helpful in death, or harmful in life! (Scartanore)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 07:21:24 »
Just wondering, Georgie, if you managed to get a sink for your project?

A few years back we had several to dispose of at school. Three were used as wildlife ponds. We partially sank them into our Nature Area and simply plonked the plug in place. They held the water well.

I have one (it might be 2) at home used for planters around the garden.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 22:41:34 »
Just wondering, Georgie, if you managed to get a sink for your project?

A few years back we had several to dispose of at school. Three were used as wildlife ponds. We partially sank them into our Nature Area and simply plonked the plug in place. They held the water well.

I have one (it might be 2) at home used for planters around the garden.

Hi Aden

No I didn't. At the moment I'm using a ceramic pot which is okay but not really deep enough and I'm forever having to top up the water level.  I might be undertaking some major changes to the garden soon which involves reclaiming a parking lot as a growing space so if I do I'll have a bit more room to play with. I might even have space for a 'proper' pond, albeit a small one.

Thanks for asking  :)

G x

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 23:11:51 »
I think a butler sink is too small and I would go even bigger with a bathtub buried to rim. A rubber seal over the plug hole would suffice as the pressure of the water would keep it in place. Place a few large stones in the centre for birds to drink and frogs to escape and within a few weeks it will be well populated. If you have a friend with a pond cadge some oxygenaters these will come with ready made wildlife.
Autumn is a bit hit and miss with the plants  but come spring if you can gather some frogspawn and transplant it you are away. If you have a few little boys in the neighbourhood who might catch some tiddlers from round about, a Jam jar or so would be enough then you can balance the wildlife in the pond so everyone is happy.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal