Author Topic: Replacement Greenhouse Glass  (Read 10610 times)

samela

• Not So New ...
Replacement Greenhouse Glass
« on: January 22, 2010, 14:07:39 »
Hi All

Please can you help? I have been given the frame of a greenhouse but it has no glass.... I obviously want to use it as a greenhouse rather than a shed so need to replace the glass panels. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about doing so?  Should I use glass or plastic? Also, money is a little tight so a cheapish option would be fab  :)

Thanks, Sam x

johnnygrowbag

Re: Replacement Greenhouse Glass
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 15:26:36 »
Hi Sam, I think you should use glass . Its a shame you are not on the Isle of Wight,,I have 500 sheets of 24"X24" going for a quid each but there is a lot of cheap glass about and garden centers uaually have a lot spare. best of luck, john.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 16:07:45 »
Hi All

Please can you help? I have been given the frame of a greenhouse but it has no glass.... I obviously want to use it as a greenhouse rather than a shed so need to replace the glass panels. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about doing so?  Should I use glass or plastic? Also, money is a little tight so a cheapish option would be fab  :)

Thanks, Sam x

If money is really tight I suggest Plastic and slowly replace with panes of glass, when you can afford it.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 20:24:22 »
you can cover the North side with ply-wood, and glass is about £3 a sheet round this way.
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 21:01:58 »
Welcome to A4A Johnny
Have you asked about on the lotties Samela... many plotholders have a few panes kicking around...  :-\

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 21:05:49 »
....and not forgetting Freecycle, I did most of my second one that way ;)

Ninny

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 21:14:59 »
....and not forgetting Freecycle, I did most of my second one that way ;)

Ninny
I agee and also check the small ads some folk offer greenhouses free if you dismantle and take away,while you don't need the frame it would be easy to get rid of and DE glazing the greenhouse is great practise for glazing yours ;)
sanity is overated

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 21:15:38 »
Samela,
               I would go for the glass option even from glazier it is cheap compared to plastic more importantly do you have the wire spring clips that hold the glass in to the frame of the greenhouse?, :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 17:14:50 »
Wilco's do the "W" and "Z" styles very cheaply...  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 13:47:46 »
What about PVC? There's some nice double-layer plastic around, but now Kay's have gone under I don't know where to get it.

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 15:30:34 »
As far as I am concerned, glass is the better option...recently paid £12 for 3 sheets 1200mm x 600mm (4ft x2ft approx)...
Perspex and all the other plastics around are expensive as far as I'm comcerned..
Glass is far cheaper....

PS I supply conservatories ect to people..add to this all plastics de-generate over time...therefore not cost effective...others may disagree...but thats my
opinion...
Stop and think...If the plastic windows/glazing is so good....Why are your PVC
windows not made of It...
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 15:49:59 »
when I can see windows made of wood and glass over 900 yrs old (ely cathedral) why do folk purchase plastic ones?
You couldn't make it up!

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 16:26:24 »
Tonybloke...spot on...Double glazing ...I'm all for....if its done correctly...
I'm not even against UPVC windows ect...Somehow people seem to think this is " the be all..and end all"
I would prefer bouble glazed windows in WOOD...bUT COST WISE...wow!..
As I said earlier ...its each to their own........ ;)

PS...I've seen some good G/houses built out of secondhand/ disguarded double glazing units..Built and set into 3x2 timber frames...they realy do work..
The upvc companies have skips ...units wrong size ect ..dumped..into the skip..

Ask permission and you will be rewarded...after all it cost them to be rid of the glazed units that are of no use to them..re-cycle......say no more... ;)

Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 20:58:53 »
What about PVC? There's some nice double-layer plastic around, but now Kay's have gone under I don't know where to get it.

Robert,
                         Try the 'One stop plastic shop' in Melton Mowbray, Just bought a couple of double skinned plastic sheets for my cold frame, they are on line and do a courier service,

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 22:14:41 »
If you have plastic glazing and a pond.............be prepared to retrieve panes in high winds  ::) Been there and got the T-Shirt  ;)

Ninny

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 15:15:07 »
Glass is clear and brittle but doesn't lose strength or clarity over time.

PVC, styrene and acrylic (perspex) all become more brittle than glass in a few years, even if they don't go milky first.

Polycarbonate is the only plastic worth paying for - never loses its toughness but does start to go yellow after 10 years - at which point it can be recycled to the north side or re-used to make a well-lit shed, or for raised beds - or a million other uses.

Glass and polycarbonate are the only options worth considering.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal