Author Topic: COMFREY PLANTS  (Read 2868 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
COMFREY PLANTS
« on: January 19, 2010, 13:16:56 »
HI everyone :D do you know where I can by comfrey plants from?Not sure if it is the right time of year or not
thanks

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: COMFREY PLANTS
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 13:28:57 »
Hi I bought mine from www.blackberrylane.co.uk they cost £3.39 for 2 plants inc delivery.
However if you are on an allotment site someone will be happy to dig you up a piece.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 14:02:30 »
April/May is the time, just as they start growing in earnest.

Blocking 14 is the one to get if poss. Its seeds are infertile and so don't spread everywhere like all the other types.

Blocking 14 was developed by HDRA (Henry Doubleday Research Association) now called Garden Organic, base in Ryton, Coventry.

Their plants are : (£1.80 p&p)
COMFREY PLANTS Bocking 14 Pack of 5          £6.25
COMFREY PLANTS Bocking 14 Pack of 10         £9.75

Comfrey root cuttings are also usually available on Ebay in April/May, cheap, yes, but who knows what your actually buying ?

Also in garden centres, you will be able  buy seeds (T&M) and 2" plug plants of the standard varieties, again around Easter time.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 15:18:36 »
I have been known to post out several packages of Bocking 14 to forum members, p.m. me if you want some  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 17:38:35 »
Personally I wouldnt worry too much about Bocking 14, we have loads of comfrey plants and they have never come from seed but rather due to me rotavating over the plants by mistake and sending root cuttings everywhere.

Plus of course if you are using the comfrey as a green manure then you probbaly wouldnt let it get to the seed stage anyway.  Find someone with comfrey and just beg a piece of root.
Best laid plans and all that

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 17:58:49 »
I've got loads of comfrey, of different-coloured strains. I've never had any problems with it spreading or seeding, but once established in a given spot, I find it impossible to get rid of.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 18:21:15 »
You couldn't make it up!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 15:45:13 »
I've got loads of comfrey, of different-coloured strains. I've never had any problems with it spreading or seeding, but once established in a given spot, I find it impossible to get rid of.

Robert, have you got the Hidcote Blue in your collection?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 17:45:51 »
There is, or was, a blue one but I'm not sure what happened to it. It may be one of the clumps I've been trying to suppress.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal