Author Topic: the liquid that helps/boost with germination..  (Read 3368 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
the liquid that helps/boost with germination..
« on: April 02, 2010, 12:34:15 »
..can't remember what is called...but has anybody bought it and does it really do what is advertized for..boosting chilli germination...
what does it say in bottle of the "active" incredients...?
..just wondering as I have seen it sale on some chilli companies websites, but they do not tell what is made of..

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: the liquid that helps/boost with germination..
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 13:01:07 »
It is probably gibberellic acid (GA3) but soaking the seeds in water overnight is usually just as effective for most chilli varieties. Soaking in weak tea may be necessary for stubborn varieties.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 13:14:19 »
..yes I have plenty of those stubborn ones... >:(
..oh well..now I have good reason for another tea break.. ;D
Best tea for me and old for chillies... ;D ;D..waste not, want not...
thanks for that..I'll have a go..I'll save my hard earned pennies and try the tea first and if that doesn't work I'll get that other stuff for next year..
mean while I use the saved money for some more seeeeddddsss ;D ::)

no-lottie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 13:28:56 »
I found this - but never tried it myself.

There are some sources that suggest that prior to planting, the seeds should be soaked in a 1:4 bleach:water solution for 40 minutes, under constant agitation. The seed should then be rinsed in vinegar and then in water. This is said to reduce the chances of infection from bacterial spot disease.

Source - http://www.g6csy.net/chile/growing.html

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 14:01:29 »
Thought some people use hydrogen peroxide. Don't know what the dilution rate is.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 14:05:04 »
The weak tea method is explained in detail here:
http://www.thechileman.org/guide_starting.php

Glen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 18:41:33 »
I bought some germination powder when i bought my chilli seeds from the chilli seed company.

The main ingredient is salt peter, it tells you to soak the seeds for 4 hrs. i think it cost about £4.

I did this with my seeds and got about an 85% success rate - but don't really know if it made a difference as i did no others to compare with.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 18:43:44 »
I found this - but never tried it myself.

There are some sources that suggest that prior to planting, the seeds should be soaked in a 1:4 bleach:water solution for 40 minutes, under constant agitation. The seed should then be rinsed in vinegar and then in water. This is said to reduce the chances of infection from bacterial spot disease.

Source - http://www.g6csy.net/chile/growing.html

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 18:49:18 »
I've heard about  that bleach job before..I know that some bird keepers soak their seed with bleach solution...but as why..I have forgotten..I'll have to ask my bird keeping friend about that..

Normally I do not have much problems with germination..but this year..my heated propagators are on windowsill and as this winter has been so much  colder ..I wonder if temperature inside has been lower than normal...?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 20:30:50 »
I was told weak MIRACLE Grow for soaking old seeds.Re gibberelic acid and what to use it for..just type the word it will come up, I have it bookmarked somewhere if you can't find it.
 XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal