Author Topic: Couch grass in my chives...  (Read 1458 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
Couch grass in my chives...
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:53:35 »
During last summer i noticed that my chives have some couch grass growing through them.  Is it possible to dig them up in the spring, wash their roots and tease the couch grass roots out?...or should i dig them up and buy new plants?
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Couch grass in my chives...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:57:53 »
Chives seem to survive anything.  I would do as you suggest, dig them out in the Spring, take out all the grass roots and then replant the chives.  If it's a thick clump you could also take the opportunity of dividing them.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:39:01 »
I agree with Pauline. In fact I keep my chives in a big bucket/Pots now on the allotment and bring one home to cut, then take it back and swap with another as I use them.

Every year, in spring, I cut them in half, and re-pot them.  Giving away surplus.

So, you certainly are fine to dig up the patch and sort out the couch grass. Re plant in smaller clumps if you need to.

Mean while there is no reason not to grow a fresh lot in a small pot ready to replant.  If you feel so inclined.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:04:47 »
During last summer i noticed that my chives have some couch grass growing through them.  Is it possible to dig them up in the spring, wash their roots and tease the couch grass roots out?...or should i dig them up and buy new plants?

I think this is what ive been clearing from my garden, really tough root system that seems to be spread out all over  :-\
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal