Author Topic: Soil testing  (Read 5550 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Soil testing
« on: January 14, 2010, 15:03:17 »
Hi all

I am about to buy a soil testing thing!  What is the best and easiest to use type.  I lam not good at doing one thing adding/subtracting and working out an answer.

Is there such a thing as stick it in the ground and get a sensible easy to read answer?

I will probably go out at the weekend to get this marvel so all information would be most helpful!

Cheers

Ann aka Old Bird!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Soil testing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 15:25:20 »
Ann, any test kit that you just 'stick in the ground' will only test the little bit it is stuck in!!
what you need is one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nortene-Easy-Use-Soil-Testing/dp/B0013A1IP2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1263482517&sr=8-6

it's the same sort of test as colleges use, accurate and very easy to use and easy to follow instructions,
let us know how you get on?
cheers, Tony ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 16:13:21 »
Hey thanks for that Tony, I think that it will probably be too fiddly for me as I am a bit cack handed!

The one which you just stick in the ground - so long as it works - may be the way forward as I only need to stick it in a few spots to get the general picture or am I being too simplistic.  I have never used one before so I may be talking nonsense!! (No change there then!)

As I have used a load of coffee grounds and dumped them liberally over my beds and I have now found out that they are very acid so will need to neutralize them a bit with some lime - so as a complete novice at this testing the soil lark - will be pleased to accept advice from all!

Cheers.

Ann

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 16:23:36 »
honestly Ann, it's very easy to use (even for an old bird) LOL
You couldn't make it up!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 16:55:06 »
I have a 'prod' meter which I rarely use.

I am not sure how accurate it is but I guess it is near enough.

At least I know if I am too alkaline or acid which is good enough for me!

I did a google and there are dozens of kits & prods.

I noticed they have a double prod that reads moisture & pH  I think that is a bit OTT

This is one site that gives a few types;

http://www.blueworldgardener.co.uk/store/index.php?cPath=193_196

I suggest you do a 'google' for soil testing kits and you too will find dozens more!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 22:14:19 »
Quite frankly this is something that imho is overrated. I have been growing stuff for about 50 years now and to be honest I have maybe wondered a handful of times if there was a problem with the soil. No once actually.

I would suggest that, unless you are growing something that is very sensitive or know that your plot has some kind of problem, you just get on with it!!

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 23:14:24 »
I think they are pretty useful. I would think a stick in the ground one is OK as long as you do several. I have done soil pH tests for many years, mainly using expensive testing kits.
When I started veg gardening at my in laws l was i was told by my father in law and the next door neighbour that brassicas would not grow. I could work out it was acid due to the rhododendrons and it was very light sandy soil. So I limed heavily and my cabbages and other brassicas have been pretty good.
On the private land I have recently rented I think I might have lime rich clay - brassicas have been superb without liming and lots of scab on some varieties of potatoes. So will soon do soil tests to confirm my suspicions.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 06:33:51 »
I bought a soil testing kit from Wilkinsons last year and I only paid about £3-£4 for it and I used it several times.  It was very easy to use. 

The testing probes you are talking about are just pushed into the soil and they give you a reading.  I've seen them used on gardeners world, however i understand they are not always reliable.

If you are growing brassica's it is useful to know your soil pH as acid soils can leave then open for clubroot and you can lime the soil to increase the pH.

Hope you find a good test
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 10:35:29 »
Thanks for the input guys!!

Yes I am not normally a "tester" sort of person but having added a deep mulch of coffee grounds and found out that they are very acid.  So possibly have overdone that and will need to equalise the status quo!

Maybe I will just take a chance on it and add a bit of lime to various areas where I am growing seedlings and more delicate types.

Thanks for the helpful information though.  So - now  - having saved a tenner - what seeds can I buy???!!!

OB

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal