Author Topic: Dabchick  (Read 1753 times)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Dabchick
« on: January 13, 2010, 23:06:16 »
walking home by the river from the lottie,something caught my eye .
It was a cute little diver that popped up all over the river. I had never seen such a small water bird before and couldn't take my eyes off it and tried for over an hour to take a photo of it ::) I managed one and from that identified it, unfortunately didn't get a shot of it with a tiny fish in its beak as I had just put my camera away when he decided to pose ;D / shades x
grow your own way

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Dabchick
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 18:37:29 »
Keep your eyes open, they are around, and they're not rare. It was probably on the river because that will have stayed open, while lakes and ponds are likely to have frozen over.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 18:49:22 »
This was an orphan dab chick I reared back in 2006... due to colleagues asking for regular progress, I created a blog.  It's the little brown one!

http://moby1.blogspot.com

They are still happily on the river  (well, the white one is and we believe the dab chick is as well, as there's still a larger than average on living down there!)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 19:07:58 »
I don't know how to tell you this Mat but that is not a Dabchick.. a Dabchick is a Little Grebe..

Your lovely creature looks like a duck of some kind, well done for rearing it though, he's lovely/ shades x
grow your own way

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal