Author Topic: Planting plan help please  (Read 998 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Planting plan help please
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:53:10 »
http://www.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=52.721604,-1.338567&spn=0.00039,0.001368&t=h&z=20

Greetings to everybody, the aim of this post is to get some suggestions on how to best arrange my front garden so I can retain, but decrease, my amount of lawn and incorporate veggie growing (without them walking off).

I am the corner plot on the right with all the trees in the garden plus the convervatory and shed in the (very small) rear garden.   This is an old photo on google because things have changed slightly.   The two big rowan trees on the junction are still in situ but are going as this will give me more room.   The small apple tree just below and to the left of the rowans has already gone.   The boundary hedge running up Quorn Crescent I am growing up to six foot, but the hedge on the corner is dying off/has died off, due to the amount of crap left by the previous owners under the rowan trees.   In the mddle of the front garden you can see three trees & my old plastic greenhouse.   The smaller tree and the greenhouse have gone.  The two big trees get to stay as they have grown together and created a rather nice arch under themselves.

In the very small back garden you can still see a shed next to the conservatory.  It's not been their for over two years, my greenhouse is currently there.   A lot of the gray patches on my lawn signify where I removed stuff left by the previous owners & these too are no longer there, having been filled in.

I want to keep a portion of my lawn near the house to enjoy but also want to incorporate veggies plots but in such a manner I get to harvest the veggie, not just anybody who feels like reaching into my garden.   I have a petrol lawnmower so I don't need to worry about trailing a lead around the garden.

The back garden is a DIY disaster which I am working on & so far incorporates the rotary washing line and that's about it.

Any suggestions on how to make best use of my land will be very welcome.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Planting plan help please
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:56:45 »
I suggest you grow things up the trees eg pumpkins and beans.  Need lots of muck and water since the trees are hungry.  I grow unusual looking crops in the front yellow courgettes, purple and yellow beans. What about a sign saying you have a CCTC and a little red flashing light.  Suggest some gooseberries around the plot and other pricklies.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Planting plan help please
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 16:24:02 »
As Digeroo says "pricklies" might be a way to go - you might loose some fruit to passers by though! I'd also try and utilise as much space away from the boundary (the bit next to the pavement). And if you grow flowers in amongst things people might not notice the goodies in amongst them  :-\

Good luck !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal