Author Topic: Breakfast is served!  (Read 2537 times)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Breakfast is served!
« on: January 08, 2010, 23:46:36 »

This morning

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Breakfast is served!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 18:07:47 »
Wow, they all like they are mighty hungry, I think they may stay for lunch too ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 18:43:11 »
Fieldfares?

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 19:10:39 »
Nice photo, they all seem to be tucking in.  We have had quite a good selection of different birds today. Absolute blizzard, & still they came so they must be very hungary. ;D
Is that a Thrush ,also Blackbird ,at the bottom of the screen?

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 23:21:45 »
Yes, lots of fieldfares, chaffinches, blackbirds, greenfinches and sparrowhawks (not in this picture!) Should point out, this is not my garden but the garden of my husband's business partner.  He has the most abundant amount of birds in his garden every day, he's so lucky.  Apparently the other day, he counted 18 blackbirds feeding first thing in the morning - and no fights! ;D

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 00:21:39 »
And I bet its costing him. Mine are getting through a pound of sunflower seeds every two days and I need several pounds of mixed seed/week to put down on a flat surface + the fat balls. they don't take peanuts if sunflowers are available usually but now some are going for peanuts as well. Its worth it. I would hate a garden without movement and bird song. i have been putting out some cheese today - for the robins and blackbirds and I think i might put out some apple - blackbirds love those. i might go and get some mealworms. It must be really hard for the insect eaters such as robins at the present time.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:20:58 »
Lovely photo Sam.  Rosebud I love your Avatar. :) :)

T.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 12:15:49 »
  Geoff, I bought some dried mealworms from Wilkos, 2 pots for £4, the Robins & Blackbirds have already eaten 1 pot so they must be OK.
Yes i also love the birds the more the merrier, the birdsong is a delight. Roll on the spring when the Blackbirds sing so early a lovely wake up call ;D ;D ;D.

Thanks Tulipa ;D ;D

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 23:23:51 »
Where do all the blackbirds come from?
Every morning about 8.00/8.30 I feed the birds with a mixture of food on the patio and on the lawn where the snow has been cleared. Before I put the food out there are about 20 blackbirds gathering waiting to be fed. They all get on very well with no (very little) 'quarreling'. After they have fed they seem to disappear for most of the day returning again late afternoon before dark. The most I have had at one time is 30. Their presence does not seem to affect other ground feeders and there are often 6 robins feeding side by side.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal